• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Should we have access to a podcast of KCBS meetings?

Should we have access to a podcast of KCBS meetings?

• Yes

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
I listen to Greg's show at work
Podcasts can fill a boring day
Driving a garbage truck just is
not too exciting
LOL I just thought of this
KCBS could sell advertising on the thing
:) "Get the new KCBS Cook Book"

I hope we can get this done
kinda disappointed in Linda's response

I took a couple of days to think about this. I voted as being unsure. While I like the idea of having a podcast available, I'm not sure that it makes financial sense.

I'm guessing that 1 hr. of audio would be 15-20 Gig of data. How long does the average meeting run? For the sake of arguement call it 90 minutes. That's 22-30 Gig for a podcast, and per download.

There are some real costs that come along with that. The price of the bandwidth, as well as the server(s) are real costs, and the expense of the bandwidth will be a regular bill.

I'd like to see some #'s before I'm 100% on board.

I'm in the same boat Jorge. I know that there was a reason for the majority of the Board to vote it down. I've never heard any reason for that. But am interested. If it's a cost issue, then they need to try and recoup that someway if this is to go forward.

I took a couple of days to think about this. I voted as being unsure. While I like the idea of having a podcast available, I'm not sure that it makes financial sense.

I'm guessing that 1 hr. of audio would be 15-20 Gig of data. How long does the average meeting run? For the sake of arguement call it 90 minutes. That's 22-30 Gig for a podcast, and per download.

There are some real costs that come along with that. The price of the bandwidth, as well as the server(s) are real costs, and the expense of the bandwidth will be a regular bill.

I'd like to see some #'s before I'm 100% on board.
Jorge, I think you are way off on your estimates. I have an 8 gig Ipod with over 1800 songs and at least 15 hour long podcasts on it. A regular CD will hold 80 min/800mb of data. I do agree with you that the cost would have to be considered. I am not sure but the phone system they have to do the call ins probably was not cheap!

Jorge, I think you are way off on your estimates. I have an 8 gig Ipod with over 1800 songs and at least 15 hour long podcasts on it. A regular CD will hold 80 min/800mb of data. I do agree with you that the cost would have to be considered. I am not sure but the phone system they have to do the call ins probably was not cheap!

I was on crack, when I was thinking 20 Gig. 1 mb equates to roughly 1 minute of audio in MP3 format. That's 90 mb per meeting, and per download. That still adds up in a hurry when you start looking at server, and bandwidth costs if there is reasonable demand.

I've seen a couple of references that estimate bandwidth at 05. to 1.0 Mb per minute, with talk only being at the lower end.

Here's one:
http://www.how-to-podcast-tutorial.com/podcast-compression-table.htm

So, 90 mins would be in the range of 45 - 90 Mb, or significantly less than 1 Gig

I was on crack, when I was thinking 20 Gig. 1 mb equates to roughly 1 minute of audio in MP3 format. That's 90 mb per meeting, and per download. That still adds up in a hurry when you start looking at server, and bandwidth costs if there is reasonable demand.

So which is it? Not enough demand for this, or too much demand? :icon_shy

There's ways to defray the cost, if cost becomes an issue. And yes, we should know the reasonable cost to implement this or any other change.

It does depend on the sampling rate on the audio. 1 MB per minute would be some pretty high quality sound for listening to your favorite tunes. I have some radio quality podcasts on this laptop that run about 13MB for a 40 to 45 min show. Still runs into a lot of bandwidth if it became popular.

I wouldn't think it would necessarily have to start by keeping all the old meetings on the server. Maybe just have the last month or two meetings hosted online at a time.

Of course keeping the old ones would be great, but even the last one or two is better then nothing.

Sure it's a cost, but I don't know if I'd consider it an expense.

I agree!

I know when people say bit torrent they all think of stealing but bit torrents are a cheap and easy way of distributing content like this.

I dunno... for the access, I would be willing to pay a little for it... I mean, I have no problems dropping 99 cents for an old 1980's tune on iTunes... Maybe I am the only one though...

Back