View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...
Default Competition Briquette Report w/Pron & Food Pron

I picket up a 12# bag at Home Depot the other day, it ran about 9 bucks + or -. I decided to try it out in the drum, where I am pretty much still a rookie. I started with 5# of the briquettes, 1 each fist sized chunk of Oak, Hickory & Pecan in the fire basket. In the Chimney I filled it about 3/4 with RO lump, got it going good and put it over the combo in the fire basket. I had a little trouble dialing in the temp to 275, but when I did I tossed on a couple of roasts. Now I think they may have been Chuckies, but I'm really not sure. I figured whatever they were I would cook 'em like butts and make BBQ Beef out of them. It took about 3.5 hours to get to 165, then I bagged and foiled them with some bullion and spices and put them back in the smoker at a higher temp, about 350.

The fire basket was burning steady, but I still had plenty of coals left so I figured, "what the heck". I had some Turkey legs thawed, so I put them on also after the foiled beef had been back on for about 2 hours. I pulled the beef out an hour later, a total of 6.5 hours and it shredded nicely as you can see.

The first two pictures are of the coal basket and ashe residue after about 7 hours or so. Ionly added 1 more chunk of oak when I took the foiled beef off, figuring the Turkey Legs could use a little more flavor. All in all I am happy with Kingsfors new product, now I gotta figure out if the higher price is worth it.

I left the lid not completly covering the drum while I went inside to rest the beef and pull it. I went back out about 25 minnutes later and the coals and remaining wood had ignited and I was getting a crisp smoke on the legs. I finally pulled the legs after we had eaten the beef. They were at 172 and juicy as all get out. We'll have those tomorrow I think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 007.jpg (67.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 008.jpg (67.4 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 001.jpg (72.8 KB, 242 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 005.jpg (93.7 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 006.jpg (75.2 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 002.jpg (103.2 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 003.jpg (68.2 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg bbqbeef & turkeylegs 010.jpg (58.4 KB, 243 views)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote