• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Loco Moco...Platy-style-Fusion

i know, i know, i'm always the grump in the group. but that is not what was called loco moco. that is more in the line of hamburger plate w/egg. i've had many many many of them and still do. what loco moco was and i hope still is but i've heard otherwise is that you had a big foam cup approx 5 inches high and about 5 inches across, more or less, about 2/3 filled with rice. then a hamburger put on top of that, then a egg on top of that and then a large amount of gravy over that. it was portable and good. lived in hawaii for near 18 years and never heard a plate like that called loco moco. loco moco meant that conncoction was in a big foam cup that you could eat on the run, or not. course this does not take away from what you made, awesome, as it seems that a plate like that has morfed into being called loco moco now.

George, you are right. But, all that food on a cup photographs like, well, a cup.

In truth, it has changed, the effect of how popular 'plate lunch' has become has changed food somewhat. Plus, as I hope I conveyed, this was not meant to be authentic, it was meant to show cross-cultural influences. Your Loco Moco still exists, but, there are now variations. Chill Brah! You no grumpy.

i hope you didn't think i was poopooing what you made, just pointing out the change. yea, i know i can be a stick in the eye. i'm one of those that doesn't like change just for change sake. several of my friends in hawaii don't like the change either and don't know what happened. but like i said, what you made looks awesome and i to require my fix of "hamburger steak w/egg" regularly.

course with a plate like that you almost need to have the required hawaiin side of macaroni salad !

I was thinking about doing Loco Moco for the Hawaiian TD so thought I would check and see if it had been done before... Low and behold the Google Q-Talk search turned up this fantastic Platy-style version. Great job Bob :clap: and it looks like I'll have to go back to the drawing board... :tsk:

Moco means booger in Spanish! I'd hit that Loco Moco in a heartbeat. Runny eggs are good on most anything! :wink: Kinda how we describe "runny eggs" too, estilo moco. :wink:

Bob

Last edited:
Back