Freezing pulled pork

Jorge

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Every year my sister attends a folk festival, and I usually do some meat for her to share with folks in camp. This year she has requested pulled pork. I'll probably cook a week or two in advance and freeze it for pickup later.

I'm planning to pull it and FoodSaver it. My question is with or w/o sauce? Probably doing a vinergar based sauce. Also considered freezing the butts whole since she will have access to a pit to warm it up, and package the sauce seperately.

The FoodSaver will be ruined if you have too much liquid in the bag. It will get sucked into the pump and kill it :twisted:

I use the Foodsaver for long term, portion sized helpings, and boil the bag to reheat.

For short term storage, I might just freezer bag them and keep it easy.
Just a thought.

TIM

If you are freezing just the pork (no sauce), you can use the Foodsaver without a problem. Just take a paper towel and fold it so it fits across the bag, and put it in just above the pork. Then, any liquid that would normally get sucked in will be soaked up in the paper towel.

Or, freeze the pork in blocks in containers, with or without sauce, and then vac seal the blocks...

I've done it both ways and both ways work.I agree with Tim for short term I would use a freezer bag.You could also pull it,put in a pan,seal it with foil, freeze,and will be ready for pit on reheat.Right before heating add some apple juice and water to the pan for moisture and steam.Send the sauce along seperate.Your sis would appreciate less prep work vs. having to pull it there.

Willy T.
www.willytsbbq.com

Already froze mine for use in a couple weeks. I just expanded my normal thing of foodsavering it for home use. No sauce and then I'll boil it to thaw/warm and throw it in a roaster with some sauce. I don't sauce it much - just enough to keep it moist as it reheats.

Back