• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Brethren "Po-Boy" Throwdown

New Orleans inspired, California infused Po-Booyyyy

So this is my rookie throwdown entry and I hope you guys enjoy....
DSC_0064.jpg

This dinner was a labor of love. It took about an hour and a half of prep but I really enjoyed the end result.

Last edited by a moderator:
We were in South Carolina a few weeks ago and brought these shrimp home with us. The shrimp was tossed with a Creole seasoning and the taters were basted in honey butter then grilled. I also made a Creole Remoulade sauce to top the Po’ Boy.
Grill Shot
IMG_5124.jpg

The Sweet Taters
IMG_5131.jpg

The Creole Shrimp Po’ Boy
Entry pic
IMG_5145.jpg

Where is ecode? She was winning everything and now not a word. This could be good for the rest of us, but I miss her. :cry:

Did she run off with bigabyte? :drama:

Where is ecode? She was winning everything and now not a word. This could be good for the rest of us, but I miss her. :cry:

I'm here! I'm here! But just barely. Just got back from doing some traveling and don't have my husband's patience to use a teeny-tiny computer and hang out the window to poach a signal. I also lack his nerve to submit throwdown entries cooked on an Optigrill or UBS-melted Kinder-Eggs. But, I have been thinking about cheese and Po' Boys, so we'll see.... I've got two days before I'm off again.

I missed you too, Jim, but Gore keeps me posted.

Nice to have you back E-Code Amber and I have missed you both.

Oh Man, I'm sitting here on Saturday morning and looking at these entries for inspiration. I'm putting a plan together and then I'm off to the Chinese / Vietnamese markets near hear to get some fresh seafood. Some great idea's here... hope I do this one justice. At least my family will enjoy... no matter what!

Cheers!

Bill

Smoked Catfish and Bacon Po-Boy

I was going to do a fried catfish with bacon Po-Boy and I was prepping the rig to fry the fish it started to rain. Knowing that oil and water don't mix I opted to put the fish on the UDS and smoke it. Kids had breakfast for supper so I stole some of the bacon to go on the sammie. I used a french roll,remeloude sauce,lettuceand tomato and bacon to make the Po-Boy and it was so good. thanks for looking

Last edited:
Oh Man, I'm sitting here on Saturday morning and looking at these entries for inspiration. I'm putting a plan together and then I'm off to the Chinese / Vietnamese markets near hear to get some fresh seafood. Some great idea's here... hope I do this one justice. At least my family will enjoy... no matter what!

Cheers!

Bill
Oh man, Chinese / Vietnamese markets, fresh seafood, wish I had some of that around here. But remember a Po-Boy is a unique sammie, I'm sure you will get it right. Good luck!

Oh man, Chinese / Vietnamese markets, fresh seafood, wish I had some of that around here. But remember a Po-Boy is a unique sammie, I'm sure you will get it right. Good luck!

Actually... no I won't. I'm doing MY Po'Boy. If I tried to do a perfect, traditional Po'Boy, I'd be a gonner.

I have a few tricks up my sleeve...:cool:

The Poor Boy's Po' Boy.

View the whole cook: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89961

Here's what went into it.
238.jpg

Put the surimi on the indirect side (Please use this pic or the very last pic for my entry)
240.jpg

After sandwiching the meat between some slices of the cheese and bread with a little BBQ Sauce in the middle. The press went onto the grill.
245.jpg

All slice up and ready to eat!
250.jpg

These guys were really tasty, next time I'll add more BBQ Sauce though.
Thanks for looking!

It appears that a Po-Boy is made from scraps and leftovers to be sold really cheaply. Other Po-Boys seem to involve shrimp or seafood. While I must say that every single one of the entries so far looks absolutely delicious, none of them seems to be what I picture as a Po-Boy, so figure I'd give it a shot. Well, I had shrimp

IMG_0491-1.jpg

and leftover steak from the "cheese" Throwdown. I also had some leftover corn on the cob, some leftover red peppers, a hard-boiled egg, and even some sprouts. I put them all together and ...

IMG_0540-1.jpg

The only model I had for this was myself, so he's not too pretty. Looking at it now, I should've added a baseball cap to cover up my bald spot. :doh:

Last edited:
OK I figure I've got two strikes against me going into this. First I haven't actually cooked anything for almost 2 months and I must confess that I've never knowingly had a Po' Boy. But going by what's been said, here it goes....It just so happened that I had some leftover strip steak I sliced this thick (don't want anyone to think I made a hoagie now)

IMG_0515-1.jpg

And placed this on a just-baked, homemade roll

IMG_0516-1.jpg

I then grilled some crab legs, high heat for about 7 minutes. They came out delicious. I peeled the shells an broke them in chunks

IMG_0517-1.jpg

I laid them on top of the steak

IMG_0519-1.jpg

I made a Mayo, Sriracha, roasted red pepper and ketchup sauce to go on top.

IMG_0518-1.jpg

Here it is all put together

IMG_0528-1.jpg

Seeing as it was crab and steak I was thinking of calling it A Wall Street Po' Boy.

Gore, a self portrait is the most important work that an artist can create and you sir are an artist. I'm not sure I can "hit" a sandwich in your likeness however...

Ecode, so great to have you back. That looks delicious.

Gore's entry is a tad scary, I might have to hit it in self-defense.

Beef Po-Boy

I smoked a Tri-tip on the UDS to 145 and wrapped and let rest. Then took the drippings and mixed with an Au-Jus and dipped the sliced beef in the mixture. Made a Cajun mayo and sliced some fresh tomatos and shredded some lettuce,all this went of a french roll and we have a smoked beef Po-Boy.

Attachments

• tri tip 002.jpg
    tri tip 002.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 73
  • tri tip 003.jpg
    tri tip 003.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 74
  • tri tip 010.jpg
    tri tip 010.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 74
  • tri tip 006.jpg
    tri tip 006.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 350
Po' Boy fUSION!

G'Day Bruces'

What an amazing thowdown. I've tried very hard. How can something so simple be so damn complicated. Before anything else.. the family loved this! Nothing was left and I've got a housefull of happy kids...and a happy wife, although that took a little more effort:becky:

Well, I need to post some Pron... and in this case, the thread will come later..
DSCF2900_713.jpg

DSCF2901_714.jpg

DSCF2988_760.jpg

Hi Chris, the last pic is my entry. I'll post the rest later.

Cheers!

Bill

Back