Noobie

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jutsuka

I will be attempting my first smoking BBQ this long weekend (with a trial run) So, while talking to a co-worker here on LI, he put me in touch with one of your members. Start-up info has been great. Thought I would say hello and get your votes on which flavor wood to use on the ribs I plan on cooking.....errr... smoking. Apple or Hickory? I have kids who enjoy the 'chinese' version, so, someone suggested apple to avoid any potentially bad noobie experiences with Dad's first smoke attempt.

I'll try to use the polling option...

Welcome Jutsuka..
Hope you enjoy the site....some of these
guys are to Q what Aunt Bea was to apple pie.
MikeG

Welcome to the group.

Do a mix of apple and hickory. Get the fire going so that you have clean light blue smoke. Thick white smoke will be bitter and dark black smoke is toxic. As you learn, the less smoke the better.

What are you smoking your ribs on?

BrooklynQ said:
Welcome to the group.

Do a mix of apple and hickory. Get the fire going so that you have clean light blue smoke. Thick white smoke will be bitter and dark black smoke is toxic. As you learn, the less smoke the better.

What are you smoking your ribs on?
I agree with Robert, but if apple is not available just hickory will work fine. I use mesquite on beef or chicken,but have used pecan on everything, it's very simular to hickory. We don't have a lot of apple and cherry out west,but we have a lot of mesquite and pecan.

Do a mix of apple and hickory.

Welcome! I agree, try a mix of both. Stay away from mesquite, too heavy of smoke for you northerners, hell to heavy of smoke for me! LOL

if you have a Bandera, warm your wood on the firebox lid to cut down on the bad smoke. you want sweet blue.

hope it turns out great for ya!

Jutsuka, Welcome Brother! Can't go wrong with apple and or hickory, use as much of either as you want. Good luck and have a good weekend.

Welcome to the group.

Stick with the hickory on ribs.

Apple is lighter. Try that on turkey breast or chicken.

Glad you found us!!

J... Your just a few towns over.... I'm in Smithtown.. Meca of the Brethren is a few miles from you.. Where in Dix hills are ya.? and how'd ya hear about us?

oh yeah and welcome.!!! .

Welcome aboard, this group is great and chock full of great information. I cannot argue with the masses, Hickory and Apple are great for pork. Some preferences will vary but if you go with either or a mixture of both you will be fine.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

BBQchef33 said:
J... Your just a few towns over.... I'm in Smithtown.. Meca of the Brethren is a few miles from you.. Where in Dix hills are ya.? and how'd ya hear about us?

through me... and yes... welcome!

colt45 said:
BBQchef33 said:

through me... and yes... welcome!

Welcome Colt45. Hope you enjoy the group.

Jutsuka, Welcome don't fret and run away if these guys give you any crap. The Grand PooBah will take care of you Long Island boys---unless you pour cement but that's another story.

Use the mixture of the two, should be fine. Next time out, try some pecan, you will love the results. Close to hickory in flavor, but a little bit lighter. I use pecan for everything but beef....it needs mesquite.

I use pecan for everything but beef....it needs mesquite.

THAT'S spoken like a true Texan! Myself, mesquite is a little strong for my taste, I'm more of a hickory and sugar maple flavored type of guy.

Apple goes great with Pork but is very mild. A mix is a good idea weather it be a mix of apple and hickory or what I like to use, Hickory and oak ( the oak mellows out the strong hickory flavor). But I don't care for Misquite. It can go bitter real fast. Oh Yeah Welcome to the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back