View Single Post
Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

We did stop at Jim 'N Nicks in Murfreesboro for a late lunch and it was pretty dang good! OK, it is urban BBQ (fancy modern decor) and it is a chain but they did pretty good IMHO.

I got the 2 meat, turkey & brisket plus mac-n-cheese and slaw, my wife got a pulled pork sandwich and onion rings. Turkey was very moist and tender, just a hint of smoke taste (for me that's a plus on bird), the brisket flat was very tender and moist (despite the crappy iPhone picture). The pulled pork was as good as it gets and the onion rings very crispy. They have a habanero sweet BBQ sauce that is really different and tasty. Portions are huge which in part offsets the pretty steep prices. No doubt in my mind that the 2-meat or 3-meat would easily feed 2 folks so that mitigates the $18 or $20 respective costs. The only other negative, everything I had was sliced pretty thin but if that's the worst thing I got to say that ain't to bad for retail BBQ. I will say the fancy urban BBQ setting was somewhat tempered by a wall of family photos showing BBQ contests, little league and school sports mixed in with some old school pics of open pit southern pig-n-chicken BBQ. All said, the 'bama boys do a pretty good job and I'll definitely go back given the option.

Gonna duplicate the post over in road trips just to close out that thread.

EDIT: Oh yea, almost forgot. We tried to go to Puckets Grocery for dinner but they were closed for a private party so we hiked a few blocks and went to Demos Steakhouse. I rarely get steaks in restaurants 'cause I'm almost always bummed out with what I get but the KC strip I got was really good and cooked to a perfect X-rare. I ordered the red beans & rice as a side. What a treat and not like any other red beans I've ever had - it was like perfect tender red beans in a sausage ragu served over dirty rice. REALLY GOOD and a meal in itself.
Thanks from: --->