Smokehouse Grill, Sayville LI

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hello Brethren!

I realize that I haven’t been able to contribute much to the Brethren Forums. As a matter of fact, I have received much more than I have given. I hope that this helps to balance the scales a bit. As some of you may know, I have visited most of the bbq places on Long Island.

Tonight I took a hit for the team.

I stopped by Smokehouse Grill in Sayville and ordered the sampler platter. I substituted the brisket for the chicken and asked for the sauce on the side. That wasn’t possible I was told. The meat only comes with the sauce on it. It would have been much more accurate to say that the meat comes with the gravy on it.

Here is what I got:

Ribs (spare)
Brisket
Pulled pork

Baked beans
Mac and Cheese

The Good:
They give you a generous amount of food for the price. I believe that the platter was just under $20.00. There was a good amount of meat and the sides were plentiful. The service was quick and polite.

The Bad:
The best thing in the order was the ribs. They were below average, but not bad (but certainly wouldn’t qualify for the ‘The Good’ section). They were cooked without a rub and the sauce was sort of tasteless, but the meat had a nice flavor from the wood.

The brisket was tender and seamed to have nice marbleing without being overly fatty. The pork was not too dry. They were both covered with a gravy that had absolutely NOTHING to do with bbq. I’m familiar with pretty much all of the regional varieties of bbq sauce and this was nowhere close to anything that has ever seen a smoker.

The only way that this would be close to actual bbq would be if you passed Farmers Bar or Willie B’s on the way home (get it? Close as in proximity… hah, hah. Ok, not so funny).

At absolute best these meats would find a comfortable home on the menu of a sub par german restaurant.

The Ugly:
Wow, were the sides bad. I’m talking inedible. The mac and cheese could be best described as mundane and one forkful was more than enough. The baked beans were just horrible. Truly atrocious.

I have been to bbq places from Greenport to Manhattan and this is CLEARLY the worst I have visited. Worse than Famous Daves and Smokey Bones. I truly hope that I visited on an off day but I’m not going back to find out.

Eric

Thanks for the scouting report!

How about a separate forum category called BBQ Restaurant Reviews and create threads for each place - in case one improves or declines over time.

Waddya think, mods?

BigBarry - that's what this section can be (and often is) used for !!!

We're more than just crashing at Willie B's updates (we'll maybe sometimes) !!!

Brethren Road Trips
The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

DOH!! Must sleep soon...brain shutting down.

Didn't even think to look it up!

Thanks for the review Eric, I went there a few months ago and I didn't think they even had a smoker (I had the brisket), I was confused by the brown gravy they put on the brisket (I think they call that pot roast not BBQ).

If I was interested in BBQ, I would sooner get a McRib sandwhich then go back to the Smokehouse Grill.

Eric

Back