How Do I Smoke Boneless Pork Butt from Costco - Same as Bone In?

AKMIMNAK

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Jonathan
Bros, this is a really stupid (and slightly embarrassing) moment. I've been smoking for 7 years and never lived near a Costco until recently. Tonight I bought my first pork butts (four of them!) from a Costco. It never even occurred to me to check for bone-in vs boneless. I have never once seen a boneless butt at any other store I've ever bought from. Always bone-in. So imagine my surprise when I slit open the first two-pack tonight to inject and rub, and.....VOILA! filleted pork butt falling open in my hands. Reminds me of the time I bought a whole packer brisket from a local restaurant owner (buddy of mine) to save a few pennies....got home and the thing was sliced horizontally into five strips. Horror. Though not quite as bad this time.

I'm all in at this point. How should I alter my cook strategy, if at all, for a boneless and mangled pork butt? I'm all ears.

Same way. I like it because you dont pay for bone weight and you can get more rub in it. If I'm running short on grate space I sometimes tie the up with butchers twine

Cook it the same way. More surface area = more bark.

Would you sort of lay it all opened up on its back to get that surface area barked up, or would you try to shape it up like a normal butt and smoke it tightened up in the normal shape?

Cook in progress......3.5 hours in. I rubbed and injected them last night. Threw them on this morning sort of shaped up like a normal pork butt with the rough and ugly filleted side down to keep it all tight together. We'll see how this goes!

12in disposable wooden skewers work really good too. I prefer the skewers because they just slide right out with no cutting or pulling off any meat or bark on the string.

That’s a great idea! Especially since I can’t tie a butchers knot for my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12in disposable wooden skewers work really good too. I prefer the skewers because they just slide right out with no cutting or pulling off any meat or bark on the string.

That's a great idea. I don't mind doing the trussing, but I hate losing the bark to the string. I'll have to try this method next time.

Tip,do not buy at Costco. Slice into CSR IF YOU DO. Other responses are valid too.Pork butt burnt ends are a salvage.

I avoid buying those these days unless I’m grinding for sausage, but when I did smoke em I tied em up in a tic tac toe grid and it worked out well. Def want to tie it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back