• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber charcoal grill

bucko

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Weber mastertouch or Weber original is the difference worth the Xtra 50 dollars on Amazon one is 149 the other 199

Big difference is the lid bale and the gourmet BBQ system which gives you the removable center grate with options to add a wok, griddle, chicken roaster,etc.

I've never used any of the accessories....but I love the lid bale. If you have the extra $50 for the extra features go for it.

Lid bale and Gourmet grate system as Stlsportster stated, but the MT also has a lid thermo and it stands a couple of inches taller.

And yes, CL for a Performer is a great option as well.

IIRC the Gourmet had a heavier grate. If you use a vortex, the removable center would be ideal because the vortex will put out some really intense heat. Walmart had them on closeout last fall and I passed because I have too many Weber's and I reasoned that I could just buy the grate system, but never have. I think the gourmet grate is $34 from Weber.

Good luck,

Robert

Wouldn't the Mastertouch have a better ash system too? I know my Performer is different than my Silver?

The lid thing might almost be worth the $50. That's pretty darn handy.

Definitely worth it. Also you can get these same prices at your local Lowe's and if they don't have them in stock they can order anything Weber makes. I just had them order a 22in. Performer for me and got it in 3 days,and they price match. This is not a commercial for for Lowe's,but they did treat me right.

Last edited:
Definitely worth it. Also you can get these same prices at your local Lowe's and if they don't have them in stock they can order anything Weber makes. I just had them order a 22in. Performer for me and got it in 3 days,and they price match. This is not a commercial for for Lowe's,but they did treat me right.
Picked up a Performer with the folding table last week but went to HD since they had one in stock.

Last edited:
What kind of person are you? You value form over function, simplicity and frugality over design and gizmology?

Get the one touch silver for $99. Spend the extra 50 or 100 on good meat. Or better yet, CL a kettle and spend the extra on good meat AND good bourbon.

Weber

Didn't understand those big words didn't have much of a edumacation but thanks for the response I have a 17 year old Weber but getting tired of the Ash pan I took it off and set a bucket under it on top of 2 bricks works better than that stupid Ash pan who ever invented that needs some learnin

I've had my performer for 2 years now and I love it. I opted to spend the extra money to get the bigger table because I like the space for utensils and trays and beer. She's been garage kept until we moved recently and now she's living uncovered on our patio, but I feel confident that grill will last many, many years.

Didn't understand those big words didn't have much of a edumacation but thanks for the response I have a 17 year old Weber but getting tired of the Ash pan I took it off and set a bucket under it on top of 2 bricks works better than that stupid Ash pan who ever invented that needs some learnin

Take a plastic bottle, like a salad dressing bottle, or if you are lucky, an empty plastic vodka bottle
picture.php

like some kind person left by my mailbox and cut the bottom off to make a scoop. Use it to remove the cold ashes with the vents closed.
For the OP, the lid bale would be worth the extra cost. Add in the heavier construction of the grate and I'd pay it. My son gave me the gourmet system and it's much sturdier. I use 12 ga copper wire to secure the insert, because it falls out when you hang the grate.

I bought a NIB Mastertouch last year on clearance from Walmart for $99 even though I didn't need it. It's still sitting in the box a year later. I have two Performers and a OTS that I use occasionally. I just picked up a new OTS in the box from Walmart for $25 on clearance for a friend of mine. I would look at some Walmart's for Clearance deals.

To your original question, I would pay the extra $50 for the Mastertouch as I like the upgraded things that are included.

Wayne

Craigslist. Weber performer with a stainless steel table.
Everyone needs to own at least two of these (if you can still find them). But to answer the question. Spend the extra 50 bucks. I like the ash catcher vs. the "hubcap".

At the least, find a used One Touch Gold on CL, Offerup, etc. They can be had for $75 and less, and have the flip grates and ash bucket- 2 very useful upgrades. Maybe you can find a Performer for the same price.

Isn't that the one for $199.00?

No, the one you are thinking of is the $99 version. $149 includes the enclosed ash catcher. As others have mentioned the change to get to $199 is the lid bail, the grate system with an insert and a little more height

Hi,

You can also check Weber 14401001 grill and this model will cost you $149. It looks like the same model that is mentioned by Rockinar but the product dimensions and price is different. I have found some good reviews on grills including Weber 14401001

http://www.topreviewhut.com/best-charcoal-grills/

I bought a MasterTouch a couple months back and have used the heck out of it.

It was most definitely worth the extra money for the upgrades. The grate works super with the Vortex as mentioned already.

Check on eBay for excellent prices on new models, too.

Back