View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
I have seem people shape into logs because they do not want to stuff into casings. You do loose some fat which might slightly effect flavor, but not enough to worry about. Undoubtedly the stuffed casing is a much nicer presentation of the product than a hand formed roll or loaf. It is not hard or difficult to stuff into a larger 61 mm casing.

As far as using straight venison, keep in mind that it is very lean, and the addition of pork and beef will add fat into the mix to allow the sausage gain flavor from the mix.

On an ending note... Be sure you use TenderQuick or some type of cure to prevent food borne illnesses.. TenderQuick, Prague Powder #1, and Pink Salt #1 are NOT interchangeable....!!!!! Use the curing product according to directions. TenderQuick is the easiest product to use for a beginner.

Also check out The Sausage Maker. in Buffalo, NY. They sell spice and casing kits, even stuffers.

If you register here you get a $10.00 off coupon on your first order. You can use the coupon on-line today if you want.

Thanks I bought some synthetic casings from my local locker today but he said smoke would not penetrate them. He used liquid smoke. Thats not what I wanted to hear. I think I may just make logs and put them on my electric smoker over hickory. I went 3 lbs venison and 2 lbs pork trimmings. It is curing in fridge right now.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote