Cookin' Butts and Taking Names

Mad About Que

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
so i just got a letter from some lawyer about a tag line on our website. Apparently it's trademarked. WTF?? interesting that in the letter its stated that Cookin' Butts and Takin' Names is the trade mark and our is Cooking and Taking. this is crap. I just emailed a lawyer friend of mine to see how to trademark any 2-3 word combinations that i can find on their website.

And of course the lawyer isn't in... go figure. maybe he's eating lunch at ******* Bar-B-Que. Funny too, that in the docket it has our website listed incorrectly.

this is what America is all about these days.. Stupid health reforms and useless lawsuits. great. :tape:

From the looks of it the trademark was filed in 2008 and it looks like your site came into being in 2011. Yes, your use of the mark is confusingly similar. As much as you're not going to like the news, they beat you to it and they are just protecting their rights.

So it was a slogan you were using, not a Business name?

What is the name of the BBQ business that is currently using the slogan?

Usually in the BBQ world there are slogans that are shared. A quick look at the name Bubba will show dozens of businesses, just separated by a letter or a hyphen if they aren't the same.

Yep..just a slogan.. and as much as i can tell, they aren't using it anywhere.. but that really doesn't matter.. sounds more like some lawyer chasing smoke to drum up biz. the place that has it TM'd is DexterBBQ.com don't know anything about it. and i bet if i contacted the owner, he may or may not even be aware. its all good. i've spoken with my guy and he's looking into a couple things.. he did advise taking it off the website.. but guess where it will be...on my shirts at the comp this weekend.. Take that... ha.

now i need to figure out how to put my new logo up... and GoLive 5 folks out there? can't figure out the How To.. i should have just put the new logo in as the old file name then hit save..instead of deleting it. oh well..

Back