A red performer has a new home. It just needs a little TLC, the damper blades are toast, the ash catcher is loose and the cooking grate is rusty. But it has a full tank of gas.

4ac3a7eb.jpg

I've been searching craigslist every day looking for one of those. Very nice. Stainless top too! Wish they still made those.

There's a guy North of Ft Worth that advertises replacement wood handles for Webers that he makes. Next time I see one of his adds, I'll post a link.

Anyone have a good suggestion for how to replace the damper blades when they are completely rusted through?

I know you can get a replacement kit, but my problem is that the damper mechanism is held in place with a wingnut. This whole thing is rusted together, and it looks like the best option would be to drill it out. However, I'm concerned that subsequent hole from drilling will be too large for the replacement.

Have any of you done this before, and are there any pitfalls I should work to avoid?

My kettle is from 1996 and going strong - just can't get the temp very low without the bottom damper blades.

Mark

I would use a large drill bit or a hand held grinder to remove the screw head on the top of the old blades then just pull the remaining screw and wing nut out from the outside bottom of the kettle.

At leat that is what I would try and it should not damage the hole.

Anyone have a good suggestion for how to replace the damper blades when they are completely rusted through?

I know you can get a replacement kit, but my problem is that the damper mechanism is held in place with a wingnut. This whole thing is rusted together, and it looks like the best option would be to drill it out. However, I'm concerned that subsequent hole from drilling will be too large for the replacement.

Have any of you done this before, and are there any pitfalls I should work to avoid?

My kettle is from 1996 and going strong - just can't get the temp very low without the bottom damper blades.

Mark

This was the condition of the one I got off'n CL...
Weber_9.jpg

I took a Rotary CutOff Tool to it and replaced it with damper blades from an 18.5" Weber Kettle I had modified, Works Good!!!
Hope you get yours fixed up.

Mine is completely rusted through. I just tossed the ash sweeper and only use it for grilling now. But she still works!

DSC02193.jpg

I have a Webber that I grabbed from the curb a few years ago. Best grill I've ever had. Where is the date stamp located? It looks pretty old.

Turkey On a 22.5 Kettle

I'm looking to do a turkey on my weber performer. The problem is I don't have the rotisserie ring. I was thinking indirect heat(minion method). What is the largest size Bird that can be cooked? How long should it smoke, if this is possible at all. Welcome all responses and recipes.
Thanx In Advance.
--RA--

Last edited:
I do a turkey on my weber every year. First you gotta brine it overnight, ya just gotta. I keep it simple and it works great. I fill a chimney to the top and get the coals going. I do indirect, obviously, on one side only with a sloped pile. Both bottom and top vents are open all the way, I don't choke em down at all. Put the bird on (with apples and lemons inside) and cover the breast for the first 45 mins with a foil cover. Add wood chips. I don't baste, I don't peek, nada. Put a temp probe in the breast and remove when it hits your target temp. Mahogany, beautiful and moist are three words that come to mind.

Oops, forgot to add: the largest I ever did was 20 pounds. That sucker came right up to the vent holes in the lid, I couldn't believe it actually fit!

Wow a 20lb. bird cool. Your using a standard brine? How long does it normally take and what internal temp are we shooting for? Sorry to ask so many questions but I'm new to smoking and this will be my first time doing a turkey on the weber.

Finished internal temp can sometimes be debated, you know, lawyers n stuff, but the official temp from the CDC is 165, http://www.cdc.gov/features/turkeytime/. If thats what they say then thats what I say. If it's not what you like then next time adjust to your liking. Turkeys are usually cheap enough to experiment with.

Cooking time will depend on your bird, set up, etc. Too many variables but anywhere from 3-4 hours will be your ballpark, but let your temp prope tell you when its done. Do not trust those pop up dealeos in the birds, those are useless and not to be trusted.

Brine can be anything you like, whatever ends up in the brine will end up in your bird. Google can help you there, I started with Alton Browns brine from Foodnetwork and modified from there over the years.

Good luck. Post some pics.

Thanks for the advice. I may do a smaller bird to get some practice before the thanksgiving bird. Will post pics when I do a smoke. Thanks Again.

We usually do a fried bird and the women always do one in the oven. Sometimes we'll also have a goose or two. Now I have to add a smoked bird. We're gonna have to cut back on sides around here!

Times were tough and I had a brinkman electric for smoking and a weber gasser...wanted a better electric smoker .....bought a weber keetle as a substitute....quickly abandoned gas grills altogether and built myself a uds to stand next to my weber...luv em!

I did a Spatch'd Turkey on my Kettle a few months ago...came out great This bird was about 14 lbs... I suppose you could do a larger bird and spatchcock it to get it to fit in the kettle as well. I do regret not putting a couple of half lemons under the breast skin before cooking.

Attachments

• Turkey.jpg
    Turkey.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,026
As many of you know last August I purchased a 26 inch Weber Kettle. I was one of the first in the nation to get my hands on this work of grilling art.

If you've been around or read my blog you know that when I opened the box the lid of my new kettle was scratched.

I called Weber and since they have some of the best customer service around they shipped me a brand new lid to replaced the scratched one. "Do I need to return the old one?" I asked.

"No, there's no need for that." she replied.

Last night I went out to grill some sausages and one of the welds on the handle of the bowl broke. In looking at the rust that was there it was evident it wasn't a good weld to begin with.

Today, I called Weber to complain. "No, problem" they said, we'll just ship you a whole new bowl.

"Do you want me to ship you back the old one?" I asked again.

"No, there is no need to do that." she again replied.

"You know you guys got great customer service." I said

"Yes, We pride ourselves in that. Is there anything you'd like to order from us while you're on the phone?" she asked.

So since I got an extra lid and I'm getting a new bowl to go with the extra lid. And I've already JB Welded the handle back on the old one I went a head a ordered a set of grates and an ash catcher.

Can you say...TWO 26 inch weber kettles now!

SCORE!!!!!!

Some people have all the luck, or unluck??

Nice score and service. I deal with a couple of companies that have the same service as weber, not q related.

Paul B

Back