Seasoning For a Person With Capsicum Allergy

E

Earl

I'm smoking a couple of butts for PP for some friends in a couple of weeks. One of them has an allergy to capsicum and cannot have peppers in any form (including Bell Peppers), so no paprika or chipotle, etc., in the rub.

I'm thinking of doing an apple marinade then a rub of salt, black pepper, and turbinado sugar and spritzing with apple juice every now and then.

Does that sound reasonable? I'm open to suggestions.

I've never marinated or injected before, will that lengthen the cook time?

Thanks in advance.

I'm smoking a couple of butts for PP for some friends in a couple of weeks. One of them has an allergy to capsicum and cannot have peppers in any form (including Bell Peppers), so no paprika or chipotle, etc., in the rub.

I'm thinking of doing an apple marinade then a rub of salt, black pepper, and turbinado sugar and spritzing with apple juice every now and then.

Does that sound reasonable? I'm open to suggestions.

I've never marinated or injected before, will that lengthen the cook time?

Thanks in advance.
What about the dried apple's? take them into the food grinder and then make a non capsicum rub?

Or do a mustard wet rub with garlic, and inject with apple cider?

Also try to find corn chips, take them into the food grinder ( processor ) and make a dry rub with them an if they can have salt, Salt it a little more.

If he can't have peppers in any form can he have black pepper?? You might want to leave that out of the rub.

deguerre is correct. Black peppercorns get their bite from piperine.

I'd also add some garlic powder, onion powder, white pepper, and go heavy on the smoke wood.

I like a little cinnimon, allspice, ginger and cumin with the apple also.

Spices that go well with pork:
Black Pepper
White Pepper
Kosher Salt
Cinnamon
Nutmeg
Allspice
Mustard
Clove
Cumin

Herbs that go well with Pork:
Sage
Marjoram
Basil
Rosemary
Oregano

I would go with 4 or 5 of the spices, 2 of the herbs and some turbinado or light brown sugar. I would look at making the pepper and salt as forming 2/3 of the rub mix.

Thanks!

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I didn't have time for more than a glance at the post after I asked the questions, but the replies got me to thinking.

I used the Apple-"Jack" marinade listed here: http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Apple-Jack-Pork-Marinade-266378

2 cups apple cider (or unsweetened apple juice)
1/2 cup Jack Daniels Whiskey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon mustard powder
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon molasses

I put the 6-7 lb. butt in the marinade Friday morning and left it till Saturday morning. I drained it and dusted it with salt, black pepper, garlic and onion powder. It went in the smoke at 8:00 AM along with an 8-9 lb. butt that had my usual rub. Every time I would open the smoker (about four times over the entire cook) they would get a spritz of apple cider.

Someone else brought a 5 lb. butt in a Mojo marinade and I maxed out the rest of the Char-Griller with 8 dozen MOINK balls late in the afternoon. The MOINKs might have lasted 15 minutes after they came off. People couldn't get enough of them! I was fortunate enough to grab a few before I started pulling the pork. :wink:

When dinner time rolled around everyone wanted the Apple Jack pork. I was surprised, I thought the traditional style would have gone first. Ah well, it was all good and by the end of the evening it was all gone. :-D

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Maybe it's just a phase, but I've taken a preference to the flavor of black pepper over "peppers" lately. Hard to describe why, but near as I can explain it has more flavor than just heat (to me).

Thanks for asking and getting all these ideas out in the open....

Maybe it's just a phase, but I've taken a preference to the flavor of black pepper over "peppers" lately. Hard to describe why, but near as I can explain it has more flavor than just heat (to me).

Thanks for asking and getting all these ideas out in the open....
This is truth.

We use black/white pepper for flavoring even if using other peppers for spicing.

Spicing for capsicum allergy

As someone who suffers from this most unfortunate allergy, my recommendation would be to use plenty of black pepper. Black (and white) pepper come from an entirely different plant, so they don't cause problems.

Other spice possibilities to provide heat without chili peppers are ginger, cinnamon, and cumin. When combined in sufficient quantities with black pepper, they can have quite a bite, and they taste great with pork!

My injection recipie is 1 part apple cider vinegar 2 parts apple juice or a mixture of white grape juice and salt too taste.

Back