• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Is Elm good to smoke with?

Fishin4bass723

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got some Elm just wondering if it is ok to throw in the smoker, and what kind of flavor profile it gives?

I am familiar with elm as a landscaping tree. It grows fast, is technically are hardwood, but a soft hardwood. I have never smoked with, nor know of anyone that has smoked with it. I cannot say without a doubt that you shouldn't use it, but I don't know anyone that has used it.

I have seen this question many times.....

I myself have never had the opportunity presented to use it.

After a long in depth search I found this on Elm; There are two basic types of Elm - Soft and Hard.
The soft variety has its tops and branches snap off in high winds and often gets hollowed out from rot before it dies.

Article: Wood Species to Avoid
There are certainly wood species to avoid too, as these can impart a resin or turpentine-like taste to your meat. They are almost all softwood species, and include, but aren't limited to:
- Pine
- Fir
- Cedar
- Cyprus
- Sassafras
- Sycamore
- Elm
- Eucalyptus

Discusses his use of elm

Talk about not using elm.

Last edited:
I have seen this question many times.....

I myself have never had the opportunity presented to use it.

After a long in depth search I found this on Elm; There are two basic types of Elm - Soft and Hard.
The soft variety has its tops and branches snap off in high winds and often gets hollowed out from rot before it dies.

Article: Wood Species to Avoid
There are certainly wood species to avoid too, as these can impart a resin or turpentine-like taste to your meat. They are almost all softwood species, and include, but aren't limited to:
- Pine
- Fir
- Cedar
- Cyprus
- Sassafras
- Sycamore
- Elm
- Eucalyptus

Discusses his use of elm

Talk about not using elm.

That pretty much answers my question guess it will be used for campfires instead of the smoker.

When it was burned as firewood dad always referred to it as "urine elm"...the word he used for urine started with a P ;-).

Bill

Most elm remaining is of the Siberian(oft called Chinese) Elm variety. Yep, smells like the yellow sap ought to smell. Weak wooded, it really isn't even for campfire wood. I have supplemented some of the free stuff into my wood stove but that's a different thing.

Red Elm(also known as American elm), much of it long gone due to Dutch Elm Disease is an entirely different wood. I've never had any to cook with but I remember the smell of it burning being quite pleasant.

Red Elm(also known as American elm), much of it long gone due to Dutch Elm Disease is an entirely different wood. I've never had any to cook with but I remember the smell of it burning being quite pleasant.
I took down an American Elm last year after it succumbed to Dutch Elm disease. I should give it a try I guess.

Back