What is the best smoker for less than $500

any of the keg cookers, and uds or pit barrel. You can also find used eggs in that price range.

for versatility I would look at the eggs or kegs.

WSM

No shelves, no wheels, no handles, no place to put the lid, non insulated, gets hot on the outside, no ash pan, difficult to add wood chunks during a cook, difficult access to meat on the lower rack, not good for grilling, flimsy door, primative vents, leaks air, possible fire hazard, burns fuel like its free, overpriced.

Other than that..it's all good.

Other than that, it's still the best cooker out there under $500!!!!

I'd say that since you already have a wsm, you might wanna try the akorn (HD performer style) or UDS/PBC.

But, if you want two of the same thing so you don't have to mess with anything extra- just have a second wsm and do everything the exact same without messing with it, that wouldn't be a bad option either.

Everyone says good things about the Big poppa smokers UDS, but I can't understand why its that high of a price without getting an actual barrel.

Akorn. Don't need to say much more.

Asus Transformer Tablet. TapatalkHD

WSM or UDS
Something tells me there is more than meets the eye with the sudden intense adoration of the PBC around here.

I've started a number of the threads that you may be referring to here. I have both the WSM and the PBC and prefer the WSM. That doesn't detract from the PBC, they're just different tools.

The PBC is new and shiny. You should have seen the forum when the WSM 22" came out.

Eric

portability was left out. akorns and eggs are not that easily moved.

portability was left out. akorns and eggs are not that easily moved.

For all their functions and abilities, plus portability, the big steel kegs for the win.
I don't know why you all keep posting:crazy:
:tongue:
:laugh:

Their all nice cookers, UDS,AKORN,WSM,PBC, YADA YADA,like fantom said it depends on what you want to do with it,how many people at any given time you want to feed,And your ability to cook.Its a need vs wants thing. If you want one that has flash and flair, with the ability to set and somewhat forget then WSM is it.

A BarrelSmoker is powder coated, firebrick lined, has a smoker plate(real smoker), use with water pan or without and uses a dolly to roll around easily. Uses a modest amount of fuel and is all American made.In my opinion, the best value from all that's been listed. I've tried and used most talked about and since I make BarrelSmokers, that's what we come up with. Good luck with your choice. Steve.

A BarrelSmoker is powder coated, firebrick lined, has a smoker plate(real smoker), use with water pan or without and uses a dolly to roll around easily. Uses a modest amount of fuel and is all American made.In my opinion, the best value from all that's been listed. I've tried and used most talked about and since I make BarrelSmokers, that's what we come up with. Good luck with your choice. Steve.
whats the price on one website dosent say

I am no expert, but I love my UDS for low and slow cooks. Cheap and fun to build.

Was curious about the Big Steel Keg, so I Googled it. Found this.
www.bigsteelkeg.com/
This site may be compromised.
I thought people should be warned.

If you can build a UDS, then my opinion is that it beats the WSM (disclaimer: I've never cooked on a WSM, but the number of moving parts, etc. never made me want to get one). If you can't build a UDS then I guess a PBC is the next best thing.

Overall, I think the Akorn is a solid deal (another disclaimer: I've never cooked on one of these either) - you can do lo n slo cooks or blast it for nuclear cooks (like pizza). Check out JMSeltzer's videos to see what he's done on his. There have been rumors about a model with a Performer style table coming out this year.

For what its worth, I just pulled the trigger on a 22 1/2" WSM :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

For what its worth, I just pulled the trigger on a 22 1/2" WSM :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Good choice! You are going to like it. I have had mine less than a year but am still amazed at how well it holds temp. Good luck.

Back