THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looks sweet. Makes me want to brush up on my welding skill and tackle a project like this myself.

I think about a similar build every time I see a Propane tank or Air tank.
My problem is it's just too big just to use on my patio...
I'd have to build mine on a trailer to carry to parties.

Looks great! Thats one door I wouldnt want to get my finger caught in.

No.. it doesn't feel good at all! :doh:

With this type of tank, do you still need to do a burn out first?

Yea I'm gonna burn it out... Even if it's just to try burn off some of the paint.

I loved watching the last build! This should be fun. Can't wait for more.

Thanks Marty... Hopefully it all goes smooth, then it will be fun for sure. :thumb:

Cheers

Hey guys... Got through what I wanted to today :boxing:. I managed to cut and install the grate slides and make the racks... The racks were a bit labor intensive... :doh: Wanted to go a little above and beyond the regular expanded metal grates. I made these out of 1/4" bar stock! Came out nice. Really liking where this is going. :thumb: This is what happened today.

First thing I did was to install the slides:
6d18ff81.jpg

Cleaned up the welds:
b845def1.jpg

Then cut the 3/4" sq bar for the grates and tested fitted them before the next step:
3e5cf006.jpg

Here's where all the work really came in. First I marked out the long rails to start drilling the holes for the 1/4 bars and center punched them:
a468173b.jpg

Then started drilling:
f2059c57.jpg

370f98a9.jpg

Then came the time to cut the 84 1/4 bars for the grate and welded the frame together and installed the bars. Still have to tack them in, I'm guessing I can do that sometime in the week:
c4be698a.jpg

cfa46749.jpg

A close up of the grates:
dfde3084.jpg

And here's where we are now...
a1f8a79b.jpg

ee3cc912.jpg

9c3d380e.jpg

So far so good guys! :thumb: Thanks for looking! Hopefully some more updates soon!

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice progress! I do wonder if the gaps in the grates are a bit large. For large cuts of meat I am sure they will be fine but do you think it might be an issue with smaller stuff?

Nice progress! I do wonder if the gaps in the grates are a bit large. For large cuts of meat I am sure they will be fine but do you think it might be an issue with smaller stuff?

The spacing is 3/4". I have another grill I've made with the same spacing and I had the same feeling at first but it works out quite fine actually. Haven't had a problem so far. It's only when I'm doing things like shrimp where it becomes an issue but I usually use a separate tray for those kinda foods anyway. Thanks for the heads up though brother! :thumb:

Cheers

The spacing is 3/4". I have another grill I've made with the same spacing and I had the same feeling at first but it works out quite fine actually. Haven't had a problem so far. It's only when I'm doing things like shrimp where it becomes an issue but I usually use a separate tray for those kinda foods anyway. Thanks for the heads up though brother! :thumb:

Cheers

Ain't no thang, brutha :becky: I just want you to get your method down pat before you build one for me :thumb: Granted, shipping might be an issue :crazy:

I'm having the best time watching this build. Phrasty, you sure do put on one heck of a show! :-D Now where's smokingj with that popcorn? :pop2:

Just a question because your work looks great.

Why not split those into 4 racks with a support in the middle so you don't have to slide those big racks out every time while also letting all the heat out of the pit?

Back