Next Stop. Asbury Park... RESULTS..

Just curious, what was the scoring on the ribs and pork butt?

Appearance / Taste / Tenderness

brisket 556 998 676 788 789 899
chicken 777 788 967 887 998 988
pork 747 768 878 777 878 777
ribs 989 756 888 788 887 758

Starting at a "6", the scores really don't look that bad.....
Wonder if maybe your pork entry was the first one judged in the group and they left some lee way.

Ribs: looks more like personal preference scoring. 989 to a 756?
Judges 3,4 and 5 show more consistent numbers. I'd venture to say this is more inline with how they really were.

What was your total score cause that is the best indicator of the way the judging went overal. A total of 640 or higher has been winning competitions all over the country this year.

I have never been involved in a competition before, but I do know about team work. It would seem to me, that there was a leader on site. A good leader, because he allowed / encouraged the other members of the tam some input. The secret to sucess is organization, delegation, and someone willing to stand in front and say my call. This is what I thought as I was reading these post. Sounds like you guys had a great time, enjoyed yourselves. Most of all the Brethren put on a fine showing and proved they know what they are doing with the smoke. Truly, BROTHERS IN SMOKE.

My .02 worth

BBQchef33 said:
BrooklynQ said:
BBQchef33 said:
BrooklynQ said:
willkat98 said:
Where's Robs write up?

As usual, my write up is long, but it's here.www.whitetrashbbq.blogspot.com

Damn, next time someone remind me to just bring a whip.!! or better yet.. Maybe grow in a thin mustache and an armband. Heil!

Phil, you got the wrong impression man. In no way did I feel that you were being a dictator or over bearing at all. I guess I didn't express my thoughts properly.

Well....but this one line bugs me..
You wrote
"There was nothing that I did that helped win that contest.".

You are so far from the truth. There is no way we could have even placed without your help.... and Daves and Mine. We were functioning as a team. Right at the beginning i said we'll go with what I know unless someone has a secret weapon. No one spoke up so i went with what i am familiar with. But no team can function without a support staff. If there are 4 cooks, you still need a support staff of at least 3. In this case, yeah i was cookin, but i was also freaking out, getting lost, tripping over myself and becoming totally derailed. Everyone there did what had to be done and each of us kept the other on track. I jumped track a few times because of the events that happened last week and you and dave got me focused and back on track. At one time while slicing the meat, it started bleeding across the cutting board. All I saw was the blood and I froze... Flashback to the site last week in front of my truck. I was about to have a meltdown... You came back and bitchslapped me... "We need the other brisket.. That one is no good". YOU explained how judges look at the brisket. I was not aware of that(accordian thing).... I went with your judgement and we won first. You dont think thats a contribution to our win? You were 1/3 of a winning team and also flew solo on the presentations. The only thing i did was fluff up the pork with you...The ODD number of pieces was something that was told to me about doing presentation boxes. Always put an odd number in.. like in floral arrangments. I was relaying those words.

We all put alot of sweat into those 2 days, and no one person is responsible, its a team effort.. the glory goes to each of us. I couldnt do that alone and I'd be part of that same team anyday.

Ok, this has taken on a life of its own. If any of you read my post as a shot to Phil or Dave, then you read it wrong or I didn't get my thoughts out properly.

Let me try to explain what I meant. When Phil asked me to join the team, I said that as far as I was concerned, he was the boss and my job was to make him look good. I had no problems at all with Phil calling the shots at anytime. Phil was the one putting up ALL of the money. He's the one with the equipment He's the one with the winning track record. If I made him out to be a dictator, well then I painted the story with too heavy a brush.

Was I down playing my contributions? Not in my opinion. I’m not down playing Dave’s contributions, he worked his ass off. He was much more involved in the fire control and actual cooking than I was. But, at the end of the day, my opinion was and is that Phil is the guy who pulled this victory off.

And hell yeah, I'd do it again anytime, any day, with these guys.

Dave and Phil, if you want to get into this more, let’s do it privately.

hey.. bottom line here ladies... WE HAD A GREAT TIME AND WE WON TO BOOT. I'd team up with you 2 in a heartbeat wheather i'm cookin tending fire or doing support. Dont matter.. if the judges like the stuff, then WE did it!! Nuff said on this topic.

Team hug!!!! But it does open up another good topic I have been meaning to put together. All based on past experience. Stay tuned.

If I made him out to be a dictator, well then I painted the story with too heavy a brush.
I did not see it that way. I just thought you played yourself down too much.

Still a good write up.

We're In The Window!!!! Dave reminded me of this in the other thread.

Thats Dave yelling at me to stop being a goofball.

i was glazing the chicken. Wasnt happy with how the skin was coming along and we were running out of time. I needed more heat. Decided to throw a grate in the firebox and do it over the coals. All along i've been doing it in the hotspot in the chamber. Dave kept a big pile of hot coals going right up against the chamber opening to gimme the high heat i needed. Still wasnt happy..
So about 5 minutes before turnin i decide to do it over the hot coals.... Im juggling hot grates and foirebox doors.

Dave starts yellin

NO NO NO NO WE'RE IN THE WINDOW. DON'T START EXPERIMENTING...... WE - ARE - IN - THE -WINDOW!!!!! MOVE MOVE MOVE!!!! .....

SOUTHERN BRETHREN BITCHSLAP MOD.

I dropped the grate onto the woodpile and got back to what i was SUPPOSED to be doing.

In retrospect, that fire was so hot, it probably would have ignited the chicken. It would have been nice and crispy for sure.

:D I had the chamber at 500 degrees one time when Phil wasn't looking! Insipient chamber flash fire mod!! Flames were coming into the chamber like I had a burner in the firebox!

Shut the dampers and chimney and opened the firebox to spread the coals for a bit and (there was no food in at this time) bring it down to a toasty 300. Then regulated it back up to 400 or so -- Phil wanted HOT then by cracky he was gonna be SMOKIN' :twisted:

what no experiments at turn in time?

This was just after the visit from the food network pretty boy. No wonder we were almost late with the chicken.

Back