• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pulled Chicken Yield

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

I need to make a bunch of pulled chicken for a party this Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew what to expect in regards to meat yield from the average chicken. Would it be 75%? Something in that area?

I'm figuring that about 10 pounds of pulled chicken would do, but I need to figure out how many pounds of uncooked chicken that works out to?

And as long as I'm asking, how much gross weight is lost when you cook a pork shoulder to be pulled?

Thanks,

Eric

If you are just wanting to make a big amount of pulled chicken... buy boneless thighs... you can then pull it like pulled pork. My guess is it looses 20-25% in weight. (I could be WAY off... I'm sure someone will correct)

Pork drops about 35-40% weight during a cook.

Hi,

I need to make a bunch of pulled chicken for a party this Saturday. I was wondering if anyone knew what to expect in regards to meat yield from the average chicken. Would it be 75%? Something in that area?

I'm figuring that about 10 pounds of pulled chicken would do, but I need to figure out how many pounds of uncooked chicken that works out to?

And as long as I'm asking, how much gross weight is lost when you cook a pork shoulder to be pulled?

Thanks,

Eric

If you are using Bone in Butt, your pork yield will be 50-60% in my opinion.

I frankly have never mesured my chicken yield, but I usually use bone in thighs. I bet it is 50% yield. If you used Boneless thighs the yield would be higher.

Wish I knew the answer better myself.

But why pay for boneless thighs when you can get bone in at $.99 a lb??

I can get boneless for 1.09 and I'm only getting about 10 lbs. For the extra 90 cents total I'll go boneless. Plus, I'm not paying for the weight of the bone.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Eric

[FONT=&quot]Bone in, I always reckon on 60% yield, boned I would think 90%.

YMMV.
[/FONT]

Wouldnt the chicken dry out by the time the texture of the meat is ready for pulling? (I've never tried pulled chicken by the way!)

Do what you normally do, rub, marinate... and the cook it in disposible pans; it won't be dry. You'll end up with a method which is something closer braising chicken... as all the liquid that is released from the chicken will help to keep it moist as it cooks.

When its finished, you'll have a pan full of chicken that you can shread with your hand.

But why pay for boneless thighs when you can get bone in at $.99 a lb??

Ummm....Not to be a smart arse, but you get more yield from boneless and it is less labor. So, you really aren't saving money because you have to buy more bone in thighs :biggrin:

Back