Serious Eats - judging at the Jack

Prairie Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've never posted boxes for feedback before, but may as well do it now... My rib box from the 2010 Jack.

Now... the article. A Judge's experience at the World Championships. Interesting viewpoints...
http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/10/the-jack-daniels-world-champtionship-invitational-barbecue-2010-lynchburg-tennessee.html

Ribs look familiar? :cool: :cool:
(They do look better from the Jack media camera, they were a bit washed out from my flash I guess...)

Seriously though... I am open to any feedback you have. My first impression is that the parsley is a bit uneven and distracting around the edges... And that right rib - was pushed in closer to the rest right after the photo was taken.

Attachments

• CIMG0302-2.JPG
    CIMG0302-2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 378
Last edited:
Hey Rob,

I assume your 7th rib is under these...right? Sorry...bad angle. I see the rest of them now, I should have looked at the photo in the article first.

I want to know where these restaurants are that serve better than comp que.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look pretty great to me. Shiny, but no so that they look fake; just appetizing.
The color screams "eat me". I can almost smell them from here! Yeah, the greens
need a little work, but frankly they aren't supposed to be taking that in to account. But, if they do, then you can't go back and say "hey, they took off a point because
my greens were.....".

The color on the ribs is awesome. Nice job! If these were in a KCBS event I'd give them 9 on appearance if what I am seeing that looks like shiner in the photo isn't really a shiner.

Yes, the greens need some work, but the meat looks really good.

That judge must have gotten bad tables or he is stupid....Funny thing is there are not any average cooks at the Jack so he must have lost his mind.

That is a nice looking box of ribs. Makes me wonder how they taste, which I suppose is what it is all about.

I was not impressed by that author, but, I can understand the misunderstanding that any of the BBQ at 'The Jack' is meant to compare to what you prefer at home. I don't drive my car like I am at Daytona when I am going to the store to get milk.

I grew up eating brisket in Lockhart. I wouldn't turn that in and expect to get a call at the Jack or any other contest. The point is pretty valid. He's not slamming competition BBQ that I can tell, but making the point that restaurant fair and comp BBQ are two different animals.

That judge must have gotten bad tables or he is stupid....Funny thing is there are not any average cooks at the Jack so he must have lost his mind.

This judge is an idiot, and I thank god we didn't get his table... then again, maybe that's why our ribs tanked at the Jack last week. I've tasted BBQ all around the world. NOWHERE have I found better Q than at BBQ comps. Granted...some of it is WAY too sweet, but a lot of it is spot on. Nowhere have I found more inspiration for my personal backyard cooking & catering than at comps. If someone thinks Gates, Bryant, Famous Dave's, Joe's, etc. can compete with the championship ribs from a good KCBS contest...well, then their palates have been sorely abused. I'd put my comp ribs up against any chain every day of the week! :-D

That is a nice looking box of ribs. Makes me wonder how they taste, which I suppose is what it is all about.

I was not impressed by that author, but, I can understand the misunderstanding that any of the BBQ at 'The Jack' is meant to compare to what you prefer at home. I don't drive my car like I am at Daytona when I am going to the store to get milk.

Great analogy!

Great color, PARSLEY DOESN'T MATTER...to me, good sheen. I would only take off for uniform size for the #1 and #6 ribs. If there was an 8.5 possible I would but...8. The last contest I judged, you couldn't tell the difference in 4 different rib boxes. All cut and displayed exactly, only minor shade of color was different. Same contest where a judge dropped a piece of brisket on the floor...nearly poked out her eye when it bounced back and smacked her in the face....lol Not really, but she did drop a slice, luckily there was 7 in the box.

First of all...nice job on your ribs Rob! :thumb: I'm a symmetry freak and like a happy balance of meat and green stuff in my boxes...yours seem to be centered in the middle with a lot of green on the top and bottom...not exactly a picture frame...but that's me. :cool:

Second...about the article...I agree with Jorge in that comp q is a different breed of critter as compared with backyard or hometown...:becky:

Here's his bio. Great guy to be a Jack Judge, traveled and ate Q for 2 weeks:

About the author: James Boo has been a barbecue enthusiast since he embarked on a two-week road trip through the American South, eating nothing but barbecue from Virginia to Texas. He's learned a thing or two, but as Serious Eats' Barbecue Bureau Chief he's found that there's plenty more to discover about America's first food. Catch up with his musings on Fridays here at Serious Eats, and check out his narrative food blog

Here's his bio. Great guy to be a Jack Judge, traveled and ate Q for 2 weeks:

Two weeks to qualify as a bbq expert for a well known food blog. He should expand his horizons or everything he had to say will be controversial.

Interesting bucket of worms...does anyone know the percentage of certified judges to celebrity judges for the Jack?

Oops...correction...our appearance score was an 8...6's for taste and texture...my bad...(blurry eye mode)...:icon_blush:

TheJack2010022.jpg

Last edited:
Back