UDS meet Android! (pics)

Now that's a cool lookin' smoker! I can't wait to see how you run it off your Android phone, since I want to do the same (except I don't have the skillz to make that happen!).

Tell me one thing though... what's that white chit on the ground? :becky:
Dunno what that white chit is - but it seemed to be very afraid of the burnout! :-D

Very cool. It must be nice to have an imagination like that.

One question though, unless I missed something, how does the ABS toilet flange not melt from the heat on the bottom, especially since that's where the fire is???????????
No melting issue thus far, there is a good amount of air insulation as the basket is 3" off the bottom of the drum and the intakes supply cooler air at that level. I should try throwing a temperature probe down at the bottom and see how hot it actually gets.

Yes an external hardware component will be needed... likely we will use an arduino board. This component can read from the temp probes and control the fan. A program will then control all of it, one could do it directly on the arduino - but since this is an android project will write a program for the phone that can communicate with the hardware, either via bluetooth or USB / Android Accessory Dev kit. There are a bunch of similar projects that people have done with arduino on this if you google it. Will post our build out on this piece when we get going with it!

PLEASE...dont forget us Blackberry Playbook users:clap2:

Abso-freaking-lutly awesome. Any update on the android program????
Hammer - Thanks the 'droid has seen alot of action this year:

8367059983_23764ec318_b.jpg

Woke up this morning to this:

8367060019_4a6a2a2699_b.jpg

On the android controller it is still a work in progress - There are a few great projects out there already, the one with the largest following is one called "HeaterMeter" ( https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter ) - For the first go around I just extended this project to work through an android phone. There is also a few brethren working on this one: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=145319

I actually just started working on mine again - if you are interested I can post some pics of the hardware and some info on it!

Back