I love Tri-Tip!

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I’ve been craving Tri-Tip so I thawed one out. Trimmed & rubbed it down and let it rest in the fridge for 5 hours. Set up the kamado for in-direct / direct cooking and fired it up. Let it heat up to 300 degrees and put on some chunks of pecan and the Tri-Tip on the in-direct side.

Here it is for the “smoke” phase of the cook.

IMG_3667_zps83223789.jpg

It took 43 minutes to reach an IT of 115.

IMG_3673_zpsdfd53b61.jpg

I opened up the vents and let it get up to 550 for some reverse searing.

IMG_3670_zps5090cb83.jpg

In this first photo the flash went off so you can’t see how hot the fire was.

IMG_3674_zps899d25f2.jpg

Here it is without the flash.

IMG_3676_zpse441942c.jpg

5 minutes per side and it looks like this.

IMG_3679_zpscbfe8ae0.jpg

And sliced.

IMG_3681_zpsbc92eee5.jpg

And now into one of my favorite ways to eat sliced Tri-Tip. Flat Bread with a layer of Tri-Tip, Greek yogurt dip, cucumber, red onion, red bell pepper & tomato.

IMG_3682_zps330cac51.jpg

Yuuuuuummm! :hungry:

WOW! I finally found Tri-Tip at my local Costco (it was actually labeled "Bottom Sirloin") and picked up two packs. It's going to be my first time cooking/eating tri-tip and I can't wait. I can only hope it looks as good as yours!

Okay you have me craving Tri-tip now :) going to pick one up tomorrow night.

Your tri-tip looks awesome btw.

WOW! I finally found Tri-Tip at my local Costco (it was actually labeled "Bottom Sirloin") and picked up two packs. It's going to be my first time cooking/eating tri-tip and I can't wait. I can only hope it looks as good as yours!

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire Sauce and then some steak seasoning. You’re in-direct / direct time may vary depending on your grill but the IT temps are pretty much what you’ll need to shoot for. (110 to 115 for the in-direct part and 130 for the direct)
Good luck and happy grilling.

I rubbed it down with some Worcestershire Sauce and then some steak seasoning. You’re in-direct / direct time may vary depending on your grill but the IT temps are pretty much what you’ll need to shoot for. (110 to 115 for the in-direct part and 130 for the direct)
Good luck and happy grilling.

Awesome! Definitely going to try out that method.

Man, that looks good. :clap: I've got to try one of those, they just don't exist around here. I think I remember seeing maybe one or two in my life for sale, and you would think they were made out of gold according to the price tag.

Adding this one to the recipe collection, nice work on the tri tip that looks great! This is just adding to the reasons as to why i want a Komado style cooker, super versatile!

Yea Husker we take for granted that you can always get large Tri-Tips just about anytime you want one around here. Its nice because they do not really benefit from a low and slow cook, except to take on some smoke so they get done pretty fast and are awesome.

wow my mouth is watering. I kind of want to take my first shot at tri tip this weekend now

Man, that looks good. :clap: I've got to try one of those, they just don't exist around here. I think I remember seeing maybe one or two in my life for sale, and you would think they were made out of gold according to the price tag.
Thanks. Tri-Tip is one of the reasons I'm glad I live here in California. I know it's hard to find on the east coast but it's plentiful and fairly low cost out here. Brisket on the other hand is more expensive here than other parts of the country.

Back