pre-wedding cook questions

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
hey guys...never cooked for more than just us, so i have a few questions about what to do for our pre-wedding cook that im gonna do. We will have about 25 people over for the cook and I am going to do four 8-10 pound butts. Will that be enough? Also want to cook some other things as well...what would you smoke with the butts that would spice up the meal? We are having homemade coleslaw as well as baked beans, but i want an appetizer or six for the guests as well.

Gonna be firing up the new WSM for the first time for this cook...any advice or suggestions?

I always do ABTs ... Also, are you saying eight butts for 28 people? That's a lot of meat. I did a wedding of 100 people a couple of weeks ago and we did 130 chicken thighs plus two 12-pound butts... the pork stretched perfectly and we had a bunch of left-over chicken... I used small slider buns to stretch out he pork...

You've got enough butts to feed twice the people you have coming...

FOUR 8-10lb butts...ABT's are for sure on there. MOINK balls now for sure as well...

Do the butts on the top grill, and the put the beans underneath them for the last 2 or 3 hours of the cook. The beans will catch the drippings from the butts as well as absorb some of the smoke and turn out real tasty.

Here's a pic from a batch made under a fatty and some meatloaf. The before picture:

IMG_1580.jpg

The plated picture:

IMG_1588.jpg

And with 4 - 8 to 10 pound butts you should have enough meat to send people home with leftovers.

Do the butts on the top grill, and the put the beans underneath them for the last 2 or 3 hours of the cook. The beans will catch the drippings from the butts as well as absorb some of the smoke and turn out real tasty.

Excellent job Paul...what a great idea.

Butts and beans go together in so many ways.

Four eight pound butts will be more than enough. I always figure around 20 sandwich per butt .

Excellent job Paul...what a great idea.

Butts and beans go together in so many ways.

I would put on some Fattys as well. You could use one of the fatty's to make Keri's baked beans too. Abt's and MOINKS are a must my friend.

Mariettasmoker.......................;}-

First of all,"10 Butts?" ; unless you feel like having a lot of leftovers,I would go for 1- around that weight,about 1/3 will be rendered out,but even at 3 sandwitches per lb. you will still have some left more than likely.

You could opt for more meat to give a choice of meat(3 racks of Spares will feed 12 to 15 persons.

The Hor'derves(?)could include smoked EGGS,just place them in at least 220*F-like while you are doing the meat,1-1/2 hrs. cook time.These can be made the day before and made into Smoked-Deviled Eggs.The old ABT's, 'Dillo Eggs , Pig Candy , and Moinks are all a good choice; now you need Dessert:idea:

Gather Br.sugar,Honey,Cinnamon and a non-stick spray:shocked:
Use any firm fruit(Peaches,Apricots,Oranges,Bananas, Pineapple anything...)make sure it is fresh,not canned.Keep the Grill or Smoker going while eating and announce dessert-I give 1 or 2 choices.Get brave and try baking on the cooker(look to Cowgirl on this Forum).

In the same manner, Vegetables are wonderful smoked:clap2: and can be done close to the end of the smoking or if you you are holding something,they can be done as warming takes place.

Hope this gives you some ideas and,

Back