View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #1
Ender's
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Question about smoking beef for stew

Hey all, I am sorry to bug you all, but of all the websites out there, I figured this would hold the answer for me as you are all just so knowledgeable about smoking.

So, basically, the idea is to make a traditional stew recipe (first time for me, have made chili) using a smoked chuck roast.

Difficulty for this is that looking at recipe ideas, it appears that for traditional stew recipes you cube up the meat, flour and salt it, then fry it up in oil until browned on all sides.

I am also hearing stew is quite forgiving, meaning I could possibly just cube up the smoked meat and add it without frying.

I wanted to gauge your ideas for how I should tackle this in order to attain the best results as possible.

I am planning on a VERY simple rub, no mustard most likely (didn't have a good experience with mustard and mesquite brisket) and using hickory to smoke. As I am using hickory, and not mesquite, I MAY use mustard depending on the comments.

Also thinking about possibly brining the beef as I had a good result of doing that for my pulled pork smokes.

Again, I greatly appreciate the time taken by anybody to address and I greatly appreciate it.

If anyone wants a view into my chili recipe, lemme know and I'll include here. It involves toasted cumin and fresh ground chili pepper as well as three types of meat (lamb, beef, pork).
Ender's is offline   Reply With Quote