I HATE friggin plastic containers

tortaboy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I go through all the efforts to use great rubs, cook meat to perfect temps, and get really juicy and great tasting que.

Then....

I let the leftovers cool and put them in plastic containers in the fridge.

So....

When I want a little late night snack, I open the container only to have all
the condensation from the plastic lid get water all over (Food, table, etc):evil:.

If....

I wanted my meat to be rained on, I'd just put it under the farking sprinkler
before I put it in the fridge.

What say brethen? What are some better short term storage options?

I still haven't figured it out. I let the food cool properly before it goes in and the same thing happens. I know how you feel, Brother!

I go through all the efforts to use great rubs, cook meat to perfect temps, and get really juicy and great tasting que.

Then....

I let the leftovers cool and put them in plastic containers in the fridge.

So....

When I want a little late night snack, I open the container only to have all
the condensation from the plastic lid get water all over (Food, table, etc):evil:.

If....

I wanted my meat to be rained on, I'd just put it under the farking sprinkler
before I put it in the fridge.

What say brethen? What are some better short term storage options?

Vacuum sealer my brother.

My wife sometimes puts a couple paper towels between the food and the lid to stop the rain. Works great on keeping salad fresh and crisp.

Chris

Haha...stop the rain. I like that.

I'm thinking that may not work so well with meat. The "Rain" would probably get the paper towels to stick to the meat. :tsk:

Maybe I should burglarize a KFC joint (JK for those that think I'm serious) and get a bunch of cardboard containers....at least I don't see "Rain" when stuff is stored in them.

How does your wife store leftover meat (short term)?

Haha...stop the rain. I like that.

I'm thinking that may not work so well with meat. The "Rain" would probably get the paper towels to stick to the meat. :tsk:

Maybe I should burglarize a KFC joint (JK for those that think I'm serious) and get a bunch of cardboard containers....at least I don't see "Rain" when stuff is stored in them.

How does your wife store leftover meat (short term)?

Aluminum foil!

Chris

I'm about ready to buy a bunch of these to throw in with my meat? :becky:

Last edited:
I just had to play this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIPan-rEQJA"]Creedence Clearwater Revival: Who'll Stop The Rain - YouTube[/ame]

And this:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJeMF_b8yQs&feature=related"]Creedence - Have you ever seen the rain - YouTube[/ame]

i've just wrapped the meat in some plastic wrap and toss in the frig. no problems.

Do you actually vacuum suck meat that you will eat the next day? Or even meat that you want to snack on that night?

If it is for the same day, it is normally in a warmer of some type all day. Crockpot or conventional oven at 175. After it cools, it either gets vacuumed sealed or it goes in a ziplock bag. The ziploc bag is rolled removing as much air as possible. BBQ really is kept that long around this house. If it does it gets sealed. I have never encountered a problem as you described.

Good luck,

That's the key, remove as much air as possible.

True that...but I'm talking about more meat than would reasonably fit in a ziplock bag.

Anyone ever try wrapping in butcher paper in the fridge? Would it asbsorb too much moisture and fall apart or would it hold up?

True that...but I'm talking about more meat than would reasonably fit in a ziplock bag.

Anyone ever try wrapping in butcher paper in the fridge? Would it asbsorb too much moisture and fall apart or would it hold up?

You know, now that I think about it, it only happens with the plastic lids. I'll do an experiment and see what happens. If I don't use the lid that comes with it and just use plastic wrap, I don't have this problem. I'll check it out and report back.

When using a plastic container, I don't seal it tight. I leave one corner of the container
open just a little, so the excess moisture can evaporate out, then seal it completely
the next day.

use the ziplocks also push out all the air!

jack

http://thebarbecuemaster.net

Back