Help! need bit to drill 1" hole in 1/4" steel

Rockaway BeachBQ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since I already owned a BBQ Guru for my Primo I bought an adapter to put it on my Klose. I started a hole with a high quality multi-purpose 5/8" bi-metal bit I own and then switched to what I thought was also a high quality multi purp 1" bi-metal bit I borrowed from my father. Well I trashed the 1" bit in less than 30 seconds.

So it looks like I will be buying a new bit. I have been considering a unibit but they seem to only accomodate up to 1/8" thick. Does anyone have advice on what to buy?

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
Since I already owned a BBQ Guru for my Primo I bought an adapter to put it on my Klose.

Call Dana at Klose and ask her-- I bet Monty could answer your question right away.

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
Since I already owned a BBQ Guru for my Primo I bought an adapter to put it on my Klose. I started a hole with a high quality multi-purpose 5/8" bi-metal bit I own and then switched to what I thought was also a high quality multi purp 1" bi-metal bit I borrowed from my father. Well I trashed the 1" bit in less than 30 seconds.

So it looks like I will be buying a new bit. I have been considering a unibit but they seem to only accomodate up to 1/8" thick. Does anyone have advice on what to buy?

A uni bit will work just fine....just go slow and keep it lubed!

The only problem with a unibit is the deeper you go the bigger the outside hole will be. I've drilled through 3/8" steel with one and had to drill from both sides to keep the hole somewhat uniform.

I've actually had great luck going with a basic black drill bit from the hardware store and the 2 key things are to drill really slowly so that you see a long curl of steel coming off between the grooves in the bit and using a cutting oil. 3-in-1 will work as well.

definitly keep it lubed up. and take it slow. you could probably find a bit at HD or at a welders shop.

I had not actually punched through with the 5/8'' bit (which was a basic black), so I went and bought a 1 1/4" hole saw and the arbor. $28 later and my adapter is firmly seated.

The instructions for the adapter said 1" hole but the adapter actually has 1 1/4 O.D. flange and the full diameter must be 1 1/2". The instructions probably say 1" so people do not try a clean install and make the hole to big. The website actually states you can do 1 1/4"
http://secure.thebbqguru.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=30&idproduct=147

Your pilot hole is too big and knocking the edges off of your 1 inch bit. Hole saw won't work because it has a 1/4 inch pilot bit. I would suggest a Cobalt Bit go slow and definitely use a good cutting oil. Just remember when drilling a pilot hole it's better to go quite a bit smaller than your finish bit.

Spice

Back