• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

RedHot Chix (sweet, spicy, delicious)!!

FamilyManBBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Had always been wanting to try this since I saw this post by BBQ Grail:
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94940&highlight=red+hot+candy

A sweet, spicy candy glaze for bbq meats! What could be better...well, I decided to include a bit of Fireball cinnamon whiskey. You know the stuff that "tastes like heaven" and "burns like hell." :twisted:

Considered trying Hot Tamales instead of "red hot" candy. Kids voted for the red hots. Went with chicken legs...kids like food with "handles"...heck, so do I!! :grin:

The ingredients:
013.jpg

014.jpg

Made an AJ, buttermilk, SM Sweet & Spicy, Fireball whiskey marinade. Gave the leggies a couple hour soak:
021.jpg

Katie and her littlest bro filling the kettle. Sure wish I was able to get away with cooking in my socks and diaper!! :shocked::shocked:
039.jpg

042.jpg

Decided to used this chicken leg hanging thingy....think I've only used it once before. Dusted the chix with some more SM Sweet & Spicy. Into the kettle with some cherry chunks for smoke.
046.jpg

While the legs were cooking, we started working on the sauce. Red hots, then the pectin into the pan.
024.jpg

Ended up making a double batch. Stayed true to Grail's recipe...except for replacing some of the apple juice with some of the Fireball whiskey. Had to bring in the help to stir...
031.jpg

036.jpg

Legs almost done.
062.jpg

When they were finished, they took a trip through the pan of glaze one by one. No pics here, sorry, this stuff is STICKY...didn't want to handle camera.

Here they are after their bath in the red hot glaze. Put some of the glaze in a squirt bottle also, drizzled some more glaze on top...and a few leftover red hots...

068.jpg

065.jpg

And what they looked like a few minutes later...
074.jpg

Was pretty tasty...and sticky!! BIG hit with the kids. Was certainly "sweet" and just "spicy" enough to make me happy...and not blow away the kids. If I was making these for just me, I might look to pump up the spice a bit...

Did have some leftover glaze in my squirt bottle. What to do...why not use it as an ice cream topping!? Vanilla ice cream, red hots, cinnamon whiskey....now that's a dessert!!
088.jpg

078.jpg

Remember when you used to let your ice cream melt a little, then stir it all up!? Made myself kind of a sweet and spicy milkshake....this was even better than the chicken!!! :grin:
092.jpg

Thanks for checking out my sweet and spicy redhot chicken and shake. Thanks to BBQ Grail for the inspiration. Will probably do something like this again....

Gotta get the kids to clean their plated somehow! And, I want another shake!! :twisted:

Excellent Sir!
Good to see my Phavorite Redhead again!

What are those small red balls?
Couple of months ago during Grillstock,Bristol I tasted that Phireball drink...immediatly I got childhood memories of the Phireball candyballs.

Excellent Sir!
Good to see my Phavorite Redhead again!

What are those small red balls?
Couple of months ago during Grillstock,Bristol I tasted that Phireball drink...immediatly I got childhood memories of the Phireball candyballs.

Used to be able to find them as "Red Hots" cinnamon candy. Sweet and a little spicy all at the same time. May go ahead and use the Hot Tamales next time.

The Fireball is interesting. I'll tell you...it sure tastes good in some ice cream!!

shoulda cooked them legs on a red kettle

Ha! :grin: Every couple of cooks Katie asks if we can cook on "my red kettle"

Would've been a good match for the glaze, for sure!!

The chicken looks great Familyman and your helpers are real cuties. :mrgreen:

Entered this in the "Sweet and Spicy" Throwdown...now polling BTW. Check out all the entries here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146525.

Hate to sound like I've changed my name to FamiRomneyManBBQ or ObamilyManBBQ....but, we could use your support. Votes greatly appreciated...maybe some bumper stickers, yard signs and campaign contributions too! :twisted:

Used to be able to find them as "Red Hots" cinnamon candy. Sweet and a little spicy all at the same time. May go ahead and use the Hot Tamales next time.

The Fireball is interesting. I'll tell you...it sure tastes good in some ice cream!!

Google ferarra pan candies. They make red hots, and also a type of jawbreaker called atomic fireballs. I believe they can be ordered online. Even though they are local, I almost never see the red hots anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Google ferarra pan candies. They make red hots, and also a type of jawbreaker called atomic fireballs. I believe they can be ordered online. Even though they are local, I almost never see the red hots anymore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks! I remember the atomic fireballs too!! I did the google thing...forgot about lemonheads. Think I might order some goodies for the "kids" :becky:

Back