Slicing brisket

KC Smoke

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm curious about slicing for KCBS comps. As I understand it the brisket has to be cooked whole and I'm thinking you wouldn't want it any other way.
So I saw in an episode of BBQ Pitmasters one of the guys brisket was practically a perfect rectangle. I didn't notice at the time if the smoke ring was visible on all edges which would suggest pre or post cook trimming. I personal have always gone with the natural look on sliced brisket but thought this was a nice tight presentation for the judges. I guess my question to the Bretheren is solely preference and opinion on this matter. Thanks.

KC, you can trim for a comp as much as you want for KCBS. It doesn't have to be whole. I would think it would dry out a lot easier, but whatever.

If you are talking for presentation in the box, you can trim the brisket to fit into the box as needed. Once the cooking is all done, trim away. For a large flat, which is what most will present, you will have to trim the slices just to get them to fit.

In IBCA, we can't trim the ends. We'd get DQ'd. But I did notice Myron take a slice off the side. I guess it makes it a little easier if you can cut off the over cooked thin dry end and serve the middle of the meat.

You can trim down the sides before you cook or after you cook in kcbs. If you trim before allow for shrinkage.

Judges aren't suppose to judge on smoke ring so if you trim the sides you should not be scored differently.

In KCBS trim to fit the box after cooking if you wish. IBCA, trim prior to cooking to fit the box, otherwise a DQ if you trim after cooking.

Back