Oklahoma JOE'S Brisket tricks

BigAl

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Saw a segment on TV about OK Joe's Brisket in KC.

They use a sugar based dry rub, just a little salt and their seasoning.

Then smoke the whole brisket at 185 F for 16 hrs or until the internal temp reaches a certain point which they did not disclose. Then they cut between the point and the flat where they join togther. There is a fat line betwee the two parts and that is where they make the cut. The flat is ready to serve.

They then trim the extra fat and outer crust and place the point back in the cooker for 4 more hours. At this point it is up to the Pit Boss to determin when the point is done, damn. They call this the "Burnt End" on their menue. They slice it into about 1.5 inch strips, then cut the strips into about 1.5 inch cubes annd serve about 14 oz of brisket with a dark vinigar based sauce of their making. Was drooling worse than my three dogs when I Q! The burnt end is their biggest seller on the menue.

:D Their process allows the flat to be tender and juicy when served and later the point with the same tender juicy results. :D

I have had good luck with my last two briskets using tk's Dr Pepper method along with HEAD COUNTRY Marinade but the small end has been too dry when the point is done. So next time, I am gonna try OK Joe's method.

Anyone tried this method?

What show was that on? I live about 2 miles from Okla Joes. Personally I'm not real fond of their Q.
JC

It was on a local TV station, wife called me in to take a look and the show was in progress. The show host some fat guy grilling "porter house pork chops" (pork chops that looked bout 3 inches thick). He had traveled to KC to check out Q places....there was also a segment about Gates BBQ and their multiple location expansion in KC. The guy said Joe's BBQ pork sandwich that was piled high with South Carloina vinager based mayo slaw was great and was their best selling sandwich. Have you tried Joe's "burnt end" plate, their biggest seller?

Haven't tried the burnt ends, have had brisket sandwich. Wife likes their pulled pork with "bubba vinegar" sauce. My favorite KC Que is Danny Edward's (formerly Lil' Jake's) who is the son of the founder of Jake Edwards's BBQ. They had slice the brisket about 1/4" thick. It is so moist and melts in your mouth, not dried out and tough like a lot of Q joints here in town.

Damn, all we got around here is Eldorados.. a friggin chain that serves "pulled Brisket" slathered with there "secret"(read Heinz) BBQ sauce.........

Yumm.. :(

They then trim the extra fat and outer crust and place the point back in the cooker for 4 more hours

I don't quite understand the reason for this. Everything I've read and experienced until now proves that the point and flat are both done in approximately the same period of time. 4 more hours for the point?

4 more hours just for the 'burnt ends'. Trust me - they are very good. Oklahoma Joe's has one of the best BBQ products in KC. They actually trim their meat (don't serve all the fat), beans are excellent, pulled pork fantastic etc, etc, etc............

[/u]

I took wedding pictures in Shawnee Mission a few years ago and after the wedding B&G had the limo stop at Oklahoma Joe's so everybody could get a brisket sandwich on the way to the reception at the airport. One of the better weddings that I have worked.

tommykendall said:
They then trim the extra fat and outer crust and place the point back in the cooker for 4 more hours

I don't quite understand the reason for this. Everything I've read and experienced until now proves that the point and flat are both done in approximately the same period of time. 4 more hours for the point?

On the show, the owner said that the point is a very tough piece of meat and needs the extra time to become tender. They use the flat for Brisket sandwiches. My flats have been too dry when the thick part of the point is just right.

Makes sense - probably why I use the foil mod only on the outermost edge of the flat once the turd hits 150-155, then completely foil at about 170. And speaking of brisket, I haven't had any since B2. I can already smell the weekend. All I can vision right now is 1.5" cubes of brisket point, smothered in sauce, piled high on a kaiser, frosty in hand. :)

Speaking of Turds, mys on has put in a request for aome ABT's, but all the japs at the Food-4-Felons looked bad. Hope I don't have to make him wait till next spring before he sees a decent turd. Adds new dimension to the word constipation, doesn't it.

BigAl said:
Saw a segment on TV about OK Joe's Brisket in KC.

. Then they cut between the point and the flat where they join togther. There is a fat line betwee the two parts and that is where they make the cut. The flat is ready to serve.

Anyone tried this method?

thats the way we do briskets at contests--like to get the brsket done at least a couple hrs b4 turn-in--then filet off the point and keep in cooker and wrap the flat to hold for slicing. som,etimes ya can turn in the point if everything is working

Buzz

Back