• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Personal Chef

BBQchef33

Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Batch Image
Reaction score
I was asked to cook at a graduation party.

They will supply all the foods, the sides, the service, etc..

I show up and cook the meats on the pits. They want "The BBQ Show'. Stickburner, Clanging steel, Trailer, Trophies, etc..

briskets, butts, chicken, ribs for 150, plus burgers and dogs.

they want it to go on all day. 1PM to 8PM.

What would a decent fee be for "personal chef".

$50 per hour is minimal for me to do this plus fuel and prep stuff. You are increasing your liability by letting them provide the meat though.

I was asked to do one of these and I charged a flat fee of $500. I did not get the job though.

$50.00 hr (8 hr min) plus expenses, truck fuel, wood, charcoal, rags, pit cleaning, etc.

Are you cooking for seven hours plus your set up time. Also the pork and brisket are you going to pre cook

Realistically it's three days work with prep, moving in and out, cooking and cleanup. So what would you expect to earn for three days work?
I wouldn't let them get the meat because it's unlikely they'll get exactly what you want and when you want it. Typically people do that because they're looking to save money. I'd offer the meat at cost but charge three days pay. I doubt they'll pay it.

Realistically it's three days work with prep, moving in and out, cooking and cleanup. So what would you expect to earn for three days work?
I wouldn't let them get the meat because it's unlikely they'll get exactly what you want and when you want it. Typically people do that because they're looking to save money. I'd offer the meat at cost but charge three days pay. I doubt they'll pay it.

If I am showing up on site with all my equipment it's going to be 100/hr

$50.00 hr (8 hr min) plus expenses, truck fuel, wood, charcoal, rags, pit cleaning, etc.
I think 8 hours is still to short... You've got loading, transporting, cooking, and then cleaning...
Are you cooking for seven hours plus your set up time. Also the pork and brisket are you going to pre cook
I'm assuming that you would need to at least partially cook the bigger cuts... That too adds time (and costs)

I agree with Ray to a point (I'm thinking two days to your three). I do agree that you don't want them to get the meat... You could end up with chuck roasts & pork loins when you ask for Brisket & Butts...

For me, it would depend on how well I know the people.
BD, hit the nail on the head.... Figure out what you should charge and then work backwords based on friendship....

For me it would be free, I don't have a certified kitchen or health department certification and therefore am not allowed to get paid. Now a tip jar....Hmmmmmm. I would get the meat and give them the receipts to pay. Scott

He is fully aware I am not a caterer.

Hes a business associate of my wife. Thats the extent of it. I told him I am not a caterer, and theres a liability involved. He asked if I would come as an 'invited guest and help do the cooking' wink wink. He just wants a 'real BBQ' guy and not someone flipping burgers.

They are buying all the sides and will supply servers/helpers.

He(Husband) is coming with me to resturant depot to purchase all meats supplies. So I will be picking the stuff out.

I will cook butts and briskets the night before. Chicken and ribs to be done on site.

He suggested that he and his brother(they both want to learn BBQ stuff) be involved in the cooking too, since I am only 'helping'. He said he can do the work and I can be the consultant. :)

I told him $1500 plus fuel, rubs, sauces, supplies. 2 days work, 8 hours on site/2 people. Me and a team mate)

He didn't flinch and wants to sit down to work on the full menu. I'll take that for a weekends work.

I think I need MOAB back. ;)

Phil, I hope you have some type of caterers insurance policy.

I dont/wont and flat arse refuse to cook off site of my own property without it.

Turn down work all the time and thats ok.

If I cook the food on my own property and deliver it to another site Im covered under my home owners policy.

Phil, I hope you have some type of caterers insurance policy.

I dont/wont and flat arse refuse to cook off site of my own property without it.

Turn down work all the time and thats ok.

If I cook the food on my own property and deliver it to another site Im covered under my home owners policy.

You're right, and I know that.

This guy has worked with sharon for years and she thinks feels hes on the up & up.. Talking to him, and expaining my liabilities, he said just come and show me what to do.

The plan would be to pull my trailer right into his yard, unload the cooker, put on the show.

I usually turn these things down just for the reasons u mentioned. Think I'm going to look into the BoH stuff for 'personal chef' type things.

Sorry I missed this one yesterday as it's RIGHT up my alley. I have run a personal chef service in CA for the past three years.

First off, unless the laws in NY are far different from CA, which may or may not be the case, your homeowners insurance will NOT cover you in ANY form of food service liability. I would get it IN WRITING from your insurance if they tell you otherwise. Homeowners insurance is just that, for a home owner. Coverage of ANY sort of commercial enterprise (i.e. you getting paid for work output) is strictly NOT covered.

Personal chef insurance is NOT all that expensive. I have a $2M/$4M liability policy for my personal chef business and pay less than $500 per year. Note that this type of coverage (PC insurance) is VERY specialized, and 99% of agents have NO IDEA how to cover a PC or write a policy that will even begin to cover this type of business for under $2500 per year. (And, even then, when all is said and done, you and your business may still not be covered correctly.)

Secondly, again, based on the Health and Safety laws in CA, which are NOT dis-similar to most states with which I am familiar, cooking in ANY not state inspected kitchen for delivery to an off site event is STRICTLY FORBIDDEN. Almost all states require that food prep be done either on the site of the event, or in some sort of state inspected commercial kitchen environment. You can get by with cooking in your outdoor smoker, or BBQ equipment, but all of your prep work must be done either at the site of the event (following HD regulations), or in a commercial facility. Again, in most states, you CAN prep in a commercial facility, transport the food to the event site for cooking on your equipment, and then do the food service work at the site of the event. An example of this would be prepping your butts, chicken, and ribs with rub etc. would be done in a commercial kitchen. You could then refrigerate the prepared product in refrigerators or in ice chests with thermometers to confirm the internal temps of the coolers. The product could then be transported in the coolers to the site of the event, and cooked on site. Once cooked, the food can be processed and served on site, and you are still legal. Of course all along the way, you are required to adhere to the HD requirements in place for the jurisdiction in which you are working.

To answer your original question as to how much to charge, I would generally charge somewhere from $1700-$2500 plus the actual cost of food and supplies for this sort of event. (I give each client a "not to exceed" budget estimate for the cost of food and supplies, and I guarantee that rate. The client gets the actual receipts, so they know I'm not skimming them on those dollars. Fact is, 99% of the time, I come in under budget on the cost of food and supplies.) For that fee, I own the responsibility for shopping and getting all of the food to the event (liability requirement for my insurance), and having it all cooked, prepared and ready for service. I clean up and deal with the food related trash at the end of the event as well. Tables, service equipment, dishes and silverware are all at an additional charge. If the client wants actual table service (i.e. with wait staff) that also is an additional charge. For 150 people, I normally will use 1-2 additional people besides myself, and that staffing IS included in the base price quoted above. (again, my insurance requires these people to be on my 'staff'.) Oh, and just for reference, that price is NOT considered to be high for this sort of service. And, yes, I get this sort of business on a regular basis, though I admit that events of this size are NOT in my 'sweet spot'. (I generally specialize, by choice, in events for fewer than 50 people.)

I'd be happy to address any questions you may still have. I will always be up front that what I know to be true will be from the rules and laws I have to follow in California. I may, or may not, know what the rules and laws of other states, and will freely speak to that whenever I address a question. (If I KNOW the law in your state, I will tell you. If not, I'll tell you that, too.) As a member of a national professional chefs association, I have access to the practical experience and knowledge of my peer personal chefs from all over the country. So, often times I can ask them to share with me the challenges they deal with, and what their rules and laws may be.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
You're right, and I know that.

This guy has worked with sharon for years and she thinks feels hes on the up & up.. Talking to him, and expaining my liabilities, he said just come and show me what to do.

The plan would be to pull my trailer right into his yard, unload the cooker, put on the show.

I usually turn these things down just for the reasons u mentioned. Think I'm going to look into the BoH stuff for 'personal chef' type things.

Phil, screw the personal chef stuff. Write up an equipment rental agreement, and make sure that you get a written invitation to the party, addressed to you, so that you are officially there as a guest. Your equipment, your advice, his work, your peace of mind.

I would run this by a lawyer though ... if you happen to know one!

as much as i hate to say this i agree with ray the last 150 person cook i did i got $2300 for it you have your time involed... plus all the time you took to lern to do it! you have prep rub cutting triming pullin. dont scimp on your price... not to mention thay always say one thing and crap comes up and it becomes another!

Back