spatched chicken questions?

bobaftt

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
How long do I cook the spatched chicken for? I know its 170 degrees in the breast (right?) but I can't find anything that says how long and at what temp. I will be posting some pron. I haven't cooked chicken on the smoker before so I am hoping this turns out OK in spite of me being the cook. I will be cooking on a WSM if it makes any difference.

I've never spatched chix before but Gary just posted some pron of sptached birds he did this weekend. I think he mentioned 2 1/2 hrs at around 300*.

I cook mine raised direct on the egg. I will go anywhere from 350 - 400. Depending on the size of the bird, they take about an hour to an hour and a half.

That's the way I do it, too. Temp. about 350 degrees for about an hour. I usually do mine on a Big Green Egg. I don't even lift the lid for 1 hour. Then you can check temp.

Like C-B-C, I'm around 400 on the egg and 60 to 90 minutes on time. I use my rig and start the bird skin side down to get the skin rendering, flip over it over after 5-10 minitues and let it go. I might go indirect during the back end of the cook, or flip skins side down again, if the bird looks like it needs it. With the rig, the grid is 10-12 inches above the lump, depending on how full the firebox is. I buy Grade A brids, better chance of getting full skin over the bird. Don't be afraid to slip your fingers under the skin, start at each breast half and work your rub and salt down into the leg and thigh. Don't be shy with the rub or salt. Per USDA, poultry is 165 white and dark meat.

I do mine a little slower and lower. A good size chicken takes me 3-4 hours at an average temp of 300 deg. I like to start them skin up and finish skin down. The liquid pools in the cavites and helps with moisture.

I do mine on the kettle...indirect...about 1.5 hours or so. Love the bird on the ketlle. YUM.

Usually it takes anywhere from 60-90 minutes. Even larger chickens tend to be done in the same amount of time.

First time I spatchcocked a chicken I fell in love! It's the only way to cook a whole chicken in my opinion. Best part is I show my friends how its done when I'm doing one and they always end up doing their own later.

Oh try the yardbird rub too, its amazing!

PS. I've been lurking for far too long this is my first post!

I smoke spatchcock at 300 and expect it to take 2-2 1/2 hours.
Juicy everytime!

I coat the bird with a mixture of fresh parsley, thyme, and oregano, garlic and olive oil. It goes on my Grill Dome at 300 skin side up for an hour then skin down for 30-45 minutes.

Back