Could it be my nipples?

I was always afraid I would knock over my beer swinging it around.

When you talking about nipples are you talking about length or Diameter??

I started out using 3/4" to 1/2" bushings. I had to have 2-3 open. I switched to 3/4" short nipples and never looked back. Seems if you watch the post the longer the nipples the more restriction. Also not that we have a lot here but humidity seems to affect how a drum burns.

Humidity plays a huge part in how that drum will run....
If someone can explain that, it would be great!!

Minimum 3/4" nipples for intakes. Drum law.

I haven't tweeked my nipples yet as she is cooking a brisket at the moment. I do think I will change at least one to a 3/4 at some point. The wind picked up this morning and the temp did jump for a few minutes, Thanks to the alarm on the receiver I got in a decent cat nap. For now I think it is about strategic placement in regard to the breeze. With a little adjustment (breeze related) she is holding at 229-230.

I haven't tweeked my nipples yet as she is cooking a brisket at the moment. I do think I will change at least one to a 3/4 at some point. The wind picked up this morning and the temp did jump for a few minutes, Thanks to the alarm on the receiver I got in a decent cat nap. For now I think it is about strategic placement in regard to the breeze. With a little adjustment (breeze related) she is holding at 229-230.

I love the paint job.

Most of what I saw said use 3/4 close nipples so that is what I did. I have used lump in mine and it works fine up to about 8- 10 hours. Then I have to tweak the fire.
A 3/4 pipe nipple fits a 1" hole in the drum. 1/2" is a bit small I would think.
I agree, on the length. The longer the pipe, the slower flow you will get for any fluid including air.

smooookin, the first UDS I built I used 4" pipe nipples thinking the oxygen coming closer to the middle of the basket would spread outward better. Wrongo. Had to shake the drum too often so changed to 1 inchers all around and that really made for a more even burn. You will dial it in just like you have in the past.

I will make a couple of changes ( thanks to this thread ) and she will be just fine. This is the drum that I usually put my 3/4 extension on. Since I am sure there are a few air leaks with it on I have no problem. It is just when using the lid that she requires more attention than normal.

Of course right now, I am setting in El Paso at the camp ground in a farkin thunderstorm watching the temps fall. Right now there is a little too mush lightening to roll out the awning and move the barrel. If nothing else maybe we will get some more hail.

You may have to stay longer and take the dents out of the drum when you're through working.:wink:

Right now there is a little too much lightening to roll out the awning and move the barrel.
*Forest Gump mod*

I had to get that awning out!! Rainin like he!!, I couldnt get my tie strap off of my awning so out came the pocket knife! The awning is now out, the drum is covered and I look like a drowned rat! :biggrin: I didnt set up most of the night just to get rained out in the 7th inning stretch! :evil:

Humidity plays a huge part in how that drum will run....
If someone can explain that, it would be great!!
I know it sounds foolish but I have noticed I have issue getting up to initial temp and even lighting the basket when it feels muggy. If I get a bigger than usual pile going on initial burn then close it up and overshoot to @ 275-300 then add meat then choke back it burns better. But when it feels dry I just light 10-12 briquetts in center and close up and it climbs to temp. Maybe Rancher draws moisture. Bubba leave my BBQ fantasy bubble alone. :biggrin:

*Forest Gump mod*

I had to get that awning out!! Rainin like he!!, I couldnt get my tie strap off of my awning so out came the pocket knife! The awning is now out, the drum is covered and I look like a drowned rat! :biggrin: I didnt set up most of the night just to get rained out in the 7th inning stretch! :evil:

Sounds like time for velcro awning straps.
Hope the rest of your cook goes well.

I use two 1" intakes with nipples extended all the way up to the grate level. I use lump almost exclusively. I need a microscope to dial the thing in. An 1/8" addittional open or close can mean 10 degrees one way or the other.

How do you start your fire ?

From the center ? All over top ?

I think the fire basket has as much to do with how it burns as much as anything.

I noticed a big difference in how much air I had to feed the drum when I switched from a makeshift basket using a wsm ring to a no weld ring using expanded steel.

Back