Rub then freeze: any reason not to?

somevelvet

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Brethren,

I recently picked up two MASSIVE racks of baby back ribs. Realistically, I'm only gonna need one tonight. I figured I'd put the other in the freezer. But while I'm rubbing down the first, I might as well rub the second, right? Or is there a reason not to? Will it not freeze well?

Thanks!

Sometimes I forget that chemical processes can still keep occurring even in the freezer and that it's not a time-suspension device...

Most rubs are fairly heavy on salt. I do my own and cut way back, but even then something rubbed and left over-night starts down the hammy/cured path. I'm thinking frozen... Not good.

Yeah good idea. I'm using my own rib which is fairly salty.

Maybe I'll just invite over some more people... or have more leftovers!!

All true, but also when salt mixes with the liquids pulled from the cells of the meat and then re-absorbed, it will also lowers the temperature at which the meat will freeze at.

You can also cook the extras at 3/4 of the way done, quickly chill then vac-seal and freeze. Although they are not as good as fresh cook, they can still be an outstanding dinner. Just thaw and finish on a hot grill...

I ended up freezing half and inviting one more friend over. Looking at them closely, they are MASSIVE and a whole rack should be more than enough for us!

I eat a whole rack my self but that's me:biggrin1: I would cook 'em both and freeze one if you must.

Another thought. I mix my ribs up fresh for each cook, so I always tweak the ingredients to what I feel like that day. You never can tell what someone here might come up with.

I cook extra racks every time...I get them to 3/4 like Madman said...then freeze them...for quick dinners all you do is defrost, then grill to finish the sauce and its on...easy peasy...

So I thought I'd follow-up with some pr0n.

Cooked it in my 18.5" WSM 2.75 hours unfoiled over hickory wood & charcoal, then foiled it and cooked for about 1.5 hours more, then unfoiled and sauced for about 45 more minutes. All in all I probably overdid it a bit, it could have been a bit moister, but it was really tasy and just like... slid off the bones. That top part (and the solo bone) just came apart when I was taking it off the grill. Bend test indeed.

8d2r.png

Back