• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Still haven't made up my mind

Need a little help in figuring out draft holes in the bottom. Since I am build a vertical I haven't quite figured out what dimensions to put in the field in Feldon's BBQ Pit Builder to get a good answer. using the following dimensions:
Fire crate will be 5" above the bottom
cylinder cook chamber 24" dia x 24 long
fire box dim round 24" X 18" long
fire box intake round 2" holes
it states 7.78 holes which would be 4 holes per side.
With the proper spacing the holes seem like they will be, basically all the way around the bottom of the smoker.

I was looking at putting in 3 x 2" holes on opposite sides at grate level with a sliding dampener. Will that be sufficient enough??

Thanks Dino

As indicated we have 1@4", it is just a short length of 4" exhaust tubing from a muffler shop. We used the same size for our exhaust stack so we are matched up at about 12.5 sq in in & out. Works fine: we run the exhaust wide open all the time and the intake wide open to get started then probably 25%-50% during a cook. I would think any combination that gives you close to the 12.5 sq in would work fine. A note, we put ours directly under the firebox door, I would suggest moving one or more to the sides, ours can conflict with the firebox door; not a big deal but it can be avioded.

Finally, you can get gasket material at bbqgaskets.com.

dwfisk,

Thanks for the help. I found the door clamps like you used at Grainger. Pick them up tomorrow. Didn't even think of looking what you did for the exhaust. I have a 3" piece of pipe for the exhaust from SmittyJonz's input so I will take your suggestion and run with it.

Thanks again for the inputs.

Dino

I got a line on an 80 gallon compressor tank- I made an offer and he counter offered - if he gets serious I may go get it this weekend and build my own version :biggrin1:

He's not negotiating so I'm waiting cuz I'm in middle of converting a propane cabinet smoker to Charcoal. :mrgreen:

But I'm gonna build one sooner or later. :heh:

Made so more progress today. Had to stop a little early becasue it started snowing and was getting things wet.

Cut up the expanded metal for the charcoal basket, didn't get to welding it up.
Welded up the frame and got the wheels installed. Still need work
Drilled the holes in the bottom plate to mount to the frame.
Cut out and welded in the intakes.
Made dampers (still need a little work)
Welded on the hinges and a handle on the meat door.
Welded on the latches on both doors.

Still need:
Weld up ash tray
Weld up chacoal baskey
Weld on top
Install chimney
Finish frame
Weld on meat tray stays
Weld on charcoal door handle
Paint outside with high temp paint (flat black)
Wipe down inside with vegatable oil
Fire that sucker up!!!!!!

Thanks

Dino

Attachments

• Smoker frame.jpg
    Smoker frame.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Smoker right side intake.jpg
    Smoker right side intake.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 99
  • Smoker meat door latches and handle.jpg
    Smoker meat door latches and handle.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Smoker getting closer.jpg
    Smoker getting closer.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 98
Hows the frame gonna work? standing up like a 2 wheel dollie or layed over like the pic ? :-?

SmittyJonz,

It will sit like it is in the picture. I am putting a small table on the other end. I will be able to move it around like a wheelbarrow. Anyway that's the plan.

Dino

Finally done just have a couple of small things to finish. Wiped down the inside with vegetable oil and pured in one 13lb bag of kingsford and lit it off. Still burning. I will play with it next weekend to find out where to set the dampers. I'll get pictures of the racks in place then as well. I installed silicon grommets for the temp probes. 3/16 id for 1/4 wall. They came out good.

Attachments

• IMAG0372.jpg
    IMAG0372.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 101
  • Smoker with silicon grommets.jpg
    Smoker with silicon grommets.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Smoker with vegatable oil.jpg
    Smoker with vegatable oil.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 102
  • smoker done.jpg
    smoker done.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 103
I LIKE IT!! :thumb: Good thing you found this forum before you followed the bad advice from that other forum! :twitch: Have you made your Grates Yet? What kind? What kind of Difusser. I'm gonna make me one After the Holidays!! I'll probally use a 60-80 Air Compressor tank.:mrgreen:

I LIKE IT!! :thumb: Good thing you found this forum before you followed the bad advice from that other forum! :twitch: Have you made your Grates Yet? What kind? What kind of Difusser. I'm gonna make me one After the Holidays!! I'll probally use a 60-80 Air Compressor tank.:mrgreen:

SmittyJonz,
You are right about that. Thanks for your inputs to this build. I really appreciated your and dwfisk advice. I am going to use the weber grates i got from target. As far as a diffusser, I was hoping I could get away, for now, by just putting a turkey basting pan filled with water on the lowest grate. Haven't found a scrap peice of plate yet big enough to fit.

Thanks again

Dino

I think you will want some plate 1/4"-5/16" like DWFisk - you could do a series of 3/8" holes instead of the curved slits tho., but try the turkey pan and see. :confused:

I did first cook in my Coverted Cabinet Smoker Sat. - I like it. :cool:

Trial run

Got the diffuser in. It is two 1/4 x 18" plates welded together. I am doing my initial trail right now. Placed a 13lb bag of charcoal in the basket along with some left over hickey chips, lit a chimney and started. Placed the chimney in the basket at 0830. It took 45 minutes to hit 242F with the vents 1/2 open. Then closed them to less than a 1/4. Need to close them down sooner. At that setting it hit 282F at the 2:45 mark.

Here are pictures of the charcaol basket and the inside with racks. I did not put water in the pan. Might next time, haven't made up my mind yet.

Thanks

Dino

Attachments

• Inside view.jpg
    Inside view.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Charcoal loaded.jpg
    Charcoal loaded.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 68
Looks Good- Remember to spray all the inside down with Pam or spray cooking Oil before burn to "Season" it to help against rust. :wink:

When and What is first cook? I like smoking everything in 275-300* range now. :thumb:

That is one nice lookin cooker there. Looking forward to see your cooks and glad you got the help you needed to git r dun the right way. This is a great place with great people to help ya out when ya need it

Back