• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Favorite all purpose rubs

I make my own rubs and use dark brown sugar (I like the extra molasses flavor dark gives versus the light). The last step of my process is to take a pestle and grind the rub through a mesh strainer to break up all the lumps (sugar, paprika as well as a couple of other ingredients I use that have a tendency to clump). It's kinda like sifting your flour when you bake. Once the sugar and other spices are all broken down, they don't tend to clump back up again. At least so long as they stay dry.
That sounds like a MUCH more reasonable approach...to me at least ;) Thanks!

For you guys using brown sugar in a rub, how do you guys manage to keep the brown sugar from clumping in a rub? I never have good much getting it evenly distributed due to it's tendency to clump.
I take my Oster blender, use a quart canning jar in place of the pitcher, and blend everything. I then put it in a saved spice shaker bottle and apply it.

Last edited:
Got my hands on Pellet Envy's rubs, been very happy with these. Also, Killer Hogs The BBQ rub has been in the rotation lately.

Just curious what all purpose rubs you use as a base rub even though you might add other spices also on a particular meat.

Mine is Jack Stack KC all purpose, it's great on pork, beef, poultry and fish. I'm really glad i ran across it...definitely a staple now for me. Just ordered their meat and poultry rub also today while i was re ordering.

I've heard good things about Big Poppas products too like his $ rub. I should probably order some Big Poppas since i use his drum just haven't done it yet.

What outstanding all purpose non homemade rubs do you love?!

I love the Jack Stack rubs, I like Cowtown too. Blues Hog ain't bad either. I'm a sucker for Midwest rubs.

Check out The Kansas City BBQ Store online. It's the folks that run Oklahoma Joes in KC, they have an awesome selection of rubs and sauces. A lot are cheaper than Amazon. I like to make my own sauces, but I'm not there yet on rubs, so it's a great spot for me to find a lot of different rubs to try!

my personal generic all purpose rub is equal parts salt/pepper/garlic/onion/paprika. depending on the meat/cook, add sugars or other spices to taste.

Prefer my own rubs, but I think I'll try a few of the highly recommended ones mentioned here to compare.

Simply Marvelous Rubs and OakRidge are always in my cupboards.

Big Poppa has a special on a selection of Simply Marvelous and his own rubs. It's really a good deal, check out his specials on the website..

That is a good deal. Ordered that and some more game changer. Gotta love that stuff.

For you guys using brown sugar in a rub, how do you guys manage to keep the brown sugar from clumping in a rub? I never have good much getting it evenly distributed due to it's tendency to clump.

We have a 4-cup flour sifter but it plugs up with brown sugar. My wife's suggestion works great -- put the brown sugar in the food processor and beat the hell out of it. :mrgreen:

Back