How did I do with my thighs?

tjb27

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
First time smoking chicken today. Used an Ok Joe offset with oak for the smoke.

So I took them to 170 degrees, but there still seemed to be a bit of red in there. The bones were especially red. Is that just because it was smoked? Juices all ran clear so I'm fairly confident I won't kill anyone...

So I took them to 170 degrees, but there still seemed to be a bit of red in there. The bones were especially red. Is that just because it was smoked? Juices all ran clear so I'm fairly confident I won't kill anyone...

thats what happens when they're in the smoke... Ive had some people freak out the first time they had any bone in chicken off the smoker... not really sure why this happens around the bone, but its normal

thats what happens when they're in the smoke... Ive had some people freak out the first time they had any bone in chicken off the smoker... not really sure why this happens around the bone, but its normal

+1

Whenever i'm cooking for a large group with chicken I always start off by stating that every piece of chicken has been temped to at least 170 and the pink is reaction having to do with the smoking process and everything is fine. Smaller groups is easier to deal with one or two people asking about it, but 20 people gets tiresome so just let everyone know up front.

EDIT:Those thighs look great!!!

Last edited:
looks good!!! here are some i did this week. i bought 2 performers a year ago from last jan. finally getting around to using one of them. i think i did a pretty good job. that is the bottom, as i was crisping the skin a little. used cherry and beech. it's harder to whittle down those big wood chunks for the performer than it is my ok joe. my brother got up early to eat the two leftovers for breakfast. z

Attachments

• DSC02126.jpg
    DSC02126.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 301
  • DSC02264.jpg
    DSC02264.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC02225.jpg
    DSC02225.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 301
Both them thighs look and I bet taste amazing.. weber kettle is an indirect chicken thigh/leg easy grilling machine with a little practice. Always amazes that chicken is some teams hardest comp category but, I guess that has more to do with the judging and a reason I have no interest in ever doing a sanctioned KCBS comp. To much tedious and stressful work to try and please their taste buds to how they belive it should taste and look.

Well, you'll have to be the ultimate judge seein's how you are the one who ate them, but those look like some great thighs from here!

KC

As far as the pink or possibly bloody joints it could be two other things.

One the birds we get now can be quite a bit younger than what they used to be and will be redder at the joint and bone the younger they are.

And two if the chicken is frozen at any point it can get kinda interesting at the joints as well.

I like how they look. I would like mine to be like that. Did you go completely indirect the entire time?

Back