Pork Butt "Emergency!

Kapn sez:

Meat is Cheap.
Doctors are Expensive.
Friends and Family are Priceless. 8)

With that said, I would not stress over the numbers here and would probably just finish the cook and enjoy it.
A really, really close call.
Your call to make.

Good Luck.

TIM

I agree with this. I even leave meat out on the counter to thaw all day GASP.

I throw meat in warm water regularly to defrost and haven't died yet. You should see the crap we eat at the hunting camp after a few pops. I say if it smells and taste fine its probably fine. As i have gotten older tho i have lost my invincibility so i'm a little more cautious these days.

odds are on your side, however I believe the food safety regulations state a minimum of 140 internal meat temp within 4 hours. Do a search there is a long thread with detailed info on it regarding food safety. Nobody wants to throw out and waste food, or their work/fuel/time..and odds are you'll probably be fine...but TECHNICALLY, I believe you should throw it out if you're following guidelines.

I agree with this. I even leave meat out on the counter to thaw all day GASP.

Growing up that's how my mom use to do it.

However the way meat was raised 30 odd some years ago and the way it is raised today are two different things.

Remember you are not only fighting any local bacteria but also any bacteria that may have come from the factory farms and production plants.

If I was the only one eating I would eat. Serving others I'm ultra-paranoid and wouldn't, make sense?

Any meat that has been left at room temperature for more than two hours or outdoors in temperature in excess of 90 degrees Fahrenheit for more than one hour should be thrown away, the USDA reports. Not the case with yours. You have no way of knowing where your IT's were during the cool down period.
I am a thrill seeker however, Bump the temp back up and let her rip. Seriously though, there are some types of bacteria that will not be killed or eradicated by mere temperature. Be careful my friend.

When in Doubt......check with the officials....then throw it out!

Jed

If you're cooking it to around 200* internal, I don't see how many bacteria could survive that :confused: On a side note, that's why I don't cook at night while I'm asleep-ruining the meat would be the least of my worries, I'd be afraid a big dog or something would knock my smoker over trying to get the meat and burn my house down.

So I'm not the only one with that worry.

I hope you didn't toss it. If you got the meat temp to 140 it was fine to keep going.

Back