BBQ supplies in New Orleans help needed

lemur

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
saint john, nb, Canada...100 km east of Calais, ME
Rubs, Marinades and Sauce selection are somewhat limited in my neck of the woods. Ill be in New Orleans later this month and Im looking to bulk up.

Where is best 1 stop shop?...Brand and flavor suggestions more than welcomed?

rob

New Orleans School of Cooking at 524 St Louis st (in the Quarter just off Decatur next to NOLA) (and across the street from Johnny's PoBoys) has a good selection of seasonings, you may even want to take a demo cooking class if you have the time. Fun and very informative.
Crescent City Cooks in the Riverwalk Mall, also has a good selection.

Rubs, Marinades and Sauce selection are somewhat limited in my neck of the woods. Ill be in New Orleans later this month and Im looking to bulk up.

Where is best 1 stop shop?...Brand and flavor suggestions more than welcomed?

rob

If you are traveling by vehicle...
You will come close to
The BBQ Equipment Store in Hampstead Maryland.
1-888-977-4BBQ (4227)

For rub suggestions I would recommend Bad Byron's Butt Rub, 3Eyez, and Simply Marvelous. He does not carry the Simply Marvelous Products but if you contact him and pay in advance maybe he can make arrangements to bring some in for you as a courtesy for a fellow Brethren from another country who will be passing by??? You will have to call him and ask, but he is a pleasant guy.

These are MY personal suggestions, I used to use plowboys, but the last 2 5lb bags I ordered and used were extremely salty and unusable in it's current form. I have switched to Simply Marvelous and River City Razorback Spice.

They quit selling Spices in the markets in Canada?? Guess things have changed since I moved back to TX.:noidea: I used to buy the ingredients and make my own.... When life deals ya lemons.. make lemonaide.

Are you looking for local products? Or more popular competition type stuff?

You can get just about any rub or sauce mentioned on this board via the internet. Is shipping prohibitive?

Are you looking for local products? Or more popular competition type stuff?

Yes...:clap2:...all suggestion welcomed....

You can get just about any rub or sauce mentioned on this board via the internet. Is shipping prohibitive?

....Shipping isn't bad but depending on carrier, customs\brokerage fees can bite. Depending on what I find I will either mail to myself as birthday gift or check a bag on return flight...few day trips planned..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155200

in canada use the great canadian bbq store

Try the french market on decator next to the cafe du-monde.

Alack Restaurant Supply in Hammond LA about an hour from New Orleans sells a good selection of popular competition rubs and sauces. Not exactly cheap, but its the only place around that I know of.

Since you wre gonna be here you might as well stock up on some cajun and creole seasonings as well as local hot sauces.

Since you wre gonna be here you might as well stock up on some cajun and creole seasonings as well as local hot sauces.[/QUOTE]

This is what i do when I visit my Dad. I go to the grocery store and just peruse and buy anything that looks interesting and that I can 't get at home.

Thanks all...11 days and 6 hrs.to take off....soooo excited. Im in French uarter first few days so will check out Market and area. Gonna visit Audobon plantatation which puts me near Alack...Think Ill order some SM delivered to hotel too.

Try the french market on decator next to the cafe du-monde.

Be sure to stop at Cafe Du-Monde for their famous Beignet.....

Also if you buy sauce, remember you have restrictions on the amount of liquid you can pack in your luggage. On my last trip to Europe it was a limit of one ounce.

was that carry on or checked luggage

It was for for carry on.
We did bring wine back from France and Italy in our checked baggage.

Remember to use ziplock bags to protect your clothes in case the seals blow with the non pressurized cargo compartment.

Back