Who done it?

Smoothsmoke

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Selling UDS with the red liner still in it! :crazy:

3E13M63N25Ff5J45M9d1qc20c92667b1a1940.jpg

http://modesto.craigslist.org/grd/3573714192.html

Send that guy an email and tell him whats up. The fact he is selling these on CL and through a website is not cool.

Honestly its a poorly designed barrel too. No charcoal basket? Rebar holding up the grate? And really, a LINED barrel?? Bust this guy before he gets someone sick.

And after looking again, can you say PBC copy?? I don't mind someone building one to use for themselves, but wouldn't this be copyright infringement since he is selling them for profit??

Some people.... :doh::mmph:

There're quite a few guys around here, I'm not far from where that guy is selling from, that just dump charcoal in the bottom and cook. Doesn't matter if there is a liner or not. I bought a barrel from a guy that makes "UDS'", he was surprised that I'd take the time to remove the liner. Plus the concept of a charcoal basket was just a waste of his time.

Matt

The red liner is a bitch to get out, but not that bad. I also wouldnt think its copyright anything, i dont even think the UDS is patentable, plus you could never keep people from doing it, anyways.

Selling it like that is just messed up and im not surprised from modesto.

OTOH, my drums lid i forgot to take the liner off of, its covered in so much grease and goodness im not worried about it.

The red liner is a bitch to get out, but not that bad. I also wouldnt think its copyright anything, i dont even think the UDS is patentable, plus you could never keep people from doing it, anyways.

I'm not really talking the "copyright" of the UDS but more so the idea that this guy is basically building a 55 gal sized PBC copy and selling it for his own commercial gain. I mean, he has his own webpage to boot, so clearly he isn't just doing it as a one or two time thing to rake in a bit of cash.

There is no specific design to a UDS because it can be customized so much but when you are building and selling something that is oddly similar to someone else's trade marked product that is already on the market, foul play starts to be detected.

Idk..just seems fishy to me.

From Neonnblack's post, "OTOH, my drums lid i forgot to take the liner off of, its covered in so much grease and goodness im not worried about it."

I’m not convinced that the “dreaded red liner” is dreaded and may even provide some additional protection from corrosion on the inside of the barrel....

Just sayin'...

RMR

I wonder if this guy made this UDS before the PBC? Anyway, that's not why I posted this. I was just amazed that someone would sell a UDC with the liner in it.

I'm not really talking the "copyright" of the UDS but more so the idea that this guy is basically building a 55 gal sized PBC copy and selling it for his own commercial gain. I mean, he has his own webpage to boot, so clearly he isn't just doing it as a one or two time thing to rake in a bit of cash.

You realize that is exactly what gets some people's panties in a bunch over Noah and PBC. Drum cooking & hanging meat has been around for a long time. PBC didn't invent it. But they are making money off it.

I don't see any issues with selling them by anyone. It is taking a design that has been around a long time and selling them. PBC makes a nice product for the right price. Therefore i own one. Maybe they tweeked it to get it just right, but lets not kid ourselves into thinking they did something revolutionary here.

Anyway, red liner huh. Epoxy typically has a low melting point. I think this is different than zinc bolts. I wouldn't want to try it. But, i wouldn't be surprised to learn that it doesn't off gass untill like 800* and we've all been overreacting. That's what forums are good for. :wink:also. We need Bigabyte to test it.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Not to start too big of a flame war, but isn't the PBC a knock-off of the UDS? Drums have been cooked on for ages, it's not like the PBC guys invented this amazing new form of cooking. While the guy doesn't need to be selling the drums with the liner, let's not rake him over the coals for making a buck just like the PBC guys.

Sure makes me think of cutting 4 holes in my UDS for rebars to hang meat from then find 4 caps to seal the holes for when I use the grates, which will probably be most of the time.

Several years ago, I was in a well know BBQ store in a well known BBQ city and saw that they had for sale, a couple of really sweet powder coated drums, done up by a local competition team that uses UDS's in comps...Fancy with painted flames and all. I popped the lid on one and damn near needed a triple by-pass for what I saw...
1) The dreaded tan liner
2) The price tag sitting on the grate... $650!!!! :icon_shock1: :twitch:

Recently in WP someone posted a park grill that was galvanized. :shocked: I can't imagine. But then i can.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Galv(zinc) is different, it has a melting point of 800 degrees. I use zinc hardware in my drum.

Back