How long does meat take on smoke flavor?

P

pike51

Strange question I know but how long does meat actually accept smoke flavor effectively? If you put a shoulder or brisket on the smoker for 2 hours and than move it to another cooking method (be it oven or somethig else) that makes for easier maintenance of temps, what would the flavor change be?

I ask because my duo is very difficult to tend for more than a few hours as it uses quite a bit of fuel and I'm thinking about transferring to an oven for the remainder of the time until internal hits desired temp.

I'm saving for a better smoker now so I won't have this problem in the future but until then, this may be my best option.

Flame away!

At a surface temp of 140 deg the chemical reaction the causes the "Smoke Ring" to form ceases. The meat will continue to absorb Smoke Flavor as long as it remains in a Smoky environment. You will never master Great BBQ on a Consistent basis by cooking to a "Desired Finish Temp" or "Min per LB."!!! You must learn to cook by feel using a probe (for large primal cuts) or other methods for other cuts to determine when it at the optimum tenderness. I cook on a CG outlaw Stop using charcoal as the main fuel source, Burn Wood. 1 split every 45 min will keep your temps steady.

I agree with Bludawg. And it's not at all a strange question.

If you get a couple hours in a smoker (or kettle with smoke) you will get some nice smoke flavor. I even use some chunks on the coals when I grill and that's often for a very short time. I feel that I get a subtle smoke under those conditions.

If I do have a long smoke going and the charcoals are just about out, I have thought about pulling the meat and finishing in the oven. I wouldn't have any reservations about doing that.

It will work fine. It will not have as full a flavor as if you ran over smoke and fire the entire time. That being said, how hot are you cooking and over what fuel. Of course, many folks cook for 2-3 hours, then wrap in foil, so they are not getting anymore smoke on their meat and they seem to produce good meat. Oven on!

Perhaps if you are cooking low, you might find some benefit in cooking hotter and getting done sooner. You also might want to consider plugging up some holes in your cooker for the time being.

When I cheat, :icon_blush:, I take shoulders to 160 and finish off in the oven. Plenty of smoke absorbtion and flavor for me by that time.

Back