• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Weber Genesis??? For mom not me...

Brew Crew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My mom is 62 and is in need of a new grill. She loves to grill out and loves it when she comes to my house, odds are I'm smoking something, but since I live 4 hours away I don't see her too often. She has downsized her house and did not bring the old built in gas Weber with her. Anyway all three of us kids are pitching in to buy her a gas grill, but want a good one, and one that will cook evenly, and be big enough for family gatherings. I know most of you smoke or at least use charcoal, but mom can only do so much. I don't even have a gas grill anymore, so anyone with info would be apreciated. I see Home Depot has the Genesis E-310 for $699. With three of us doing this for mom for Christmas, its not too bad I guess. Any other suggestions, or go with the Genesis.

Randy--i had a gen. stainless w/ stainless racks for 3 yrs. ( recently divorced in Il. and came home to mo) and wifey says " i think u need to leave that here!"so i did. I loved it!! stainless means no muss and fuss , no rust. Simply put--it's a Weber-- nothing else to say! Great grill , and even ardent smokers on here admit they use a gasser when pressed for time! I own a Aussie smoker(cheap) a Stok , and an old cook 'n kettle cast iron dad bought. I 'll stand behind a genesis and recommend it to anyone!

Last edited:
I own a Weber Q100 and a Q200. Weber gas grills are great. Your mom will love the Genesis.

I love my genesis e-320. Have been cooking on it a few times a week (or more) for the last 4 years. I have not had to replace anything. The best gas grill that I have ever owned. I expect to have it for many, many years. Btw, the green color cooks the best!!! :becky:

Pull the trigger, WEBER is the best choice. Warranty, Customer Service and Life. Wish my kid would buy me one.

Sounds like this is the one, but I just called my brother, and now he is saying lets get her the green egg. I dont know much about these cookers. Is this something a mother could learn to cook on. The gas grill is so easy. Fire it up and go. I enjoy my stick burner, nothing beats them in my opinion, but no way mom could handle it. My brother thinks she will like the BGE, I'm.not to sure.

My vote is for the Weber Genesis. But if Mom is into charcoal, & she can still handle it, by all means. I'm kind of picturing a 62 yr old prefering the ease of gas.

Personally, I think the Genesis E-310 would be great choice. Only consideration is whether you want to step up to one with a side burner. IMHO, if she has not been around charcoal, the Green Egg is probably a poor choice unless she is asking for it.

Does she cook on gas or charcoal now? If it's gas, then stick with that. Get her a weber, even if it's just a spirit. Does she really want to bother with charcoal? You don't even need to think twice about that one.

She has only used gas. She has a brinkman smoker too but that was dads. Just don't see her using that or an egg. My sister said we should get the six burner Charbroil at academy for $299. I'm trying to convince her you get what you pay for. She said that Charbroil is good enough for her, why not mom. I don't want to have to buy her another one in couple years...

The only thing worse than a cheap gas grill is.... well nothing. I hated gas grills for years because I only owned cheap ones. Trying to cook chicken on a cheap gas grill is like trying to toast marshmallows in a forest fire, It wasn't until I invested some money that I finally leaned exactly what you are telling your sister because you definitely get what you pay for when it comes to gas grills. If the family thinks the Genesis is too much and if mom doesn't want to do anything fancy, you might want to look at a Q300 or Q320 although the Genesis is definitely a much better grill.

We have had our Weber Genesis for about 10 years. Stupid easy and quick to put together. Easy to clean, easy to use. An Egg would be a great gift, but if your mom is used to using gas then I would stick with it. If she was a hardcore charcoal person then I would highly recommend an Egg for ease of use and versatility, but they are heavy if she were to need to move it. Talk your siblings into the Weber.

Have you asked your mom if she has any desire to learn how to do charcoal? If she does, then the Egg would be a very thoughtful gift. If not, I'd stick with the gas grill, and I'd absolutely get her the Weber. Quality, very easy to use, if anything breaks--you're covered... no worries. I have the E310 with natural gas, and I love it. I use it a lot when I just want to do something quickly, but I also used it to smoke my T-day turkey. Just put a couple chunks in foil with slits in it, and put the turkey on the rotisserie. Came out fantastic. What's not to love? :thumb:

Get the gas grill. Eggs are nice but heavy to move and a lot more work. And you need to use lump rather than briquets or the bottom will clog up with ash and residue pretty quick. And having to use lump means a lot stronger smoke taste/smell. Okay if that is what you like.
She will more than likely use the gas grill a lot more than the egg.

excellent choice. She will be able to get replacement parts many years later. That will be the last grill she will ever need.

Back