• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Defending $25/lb brisket

neuyawk

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So Delaney BBQ just open doing Aaron Franklin style brisket here in NY. He's charging $25/lb which is pretty standard for NYC. Don't tell me about some shack in the middle of no-where selling godlike BBQ for $4/lb. That dude wouldn't survive 3 mins in NYC at those prices. If you click on my site below you'll see I've traveled to plenty of very obscure little towns to eat bbq.

Plus Delaney's doing it all wood, off set smoking unlike some the gassers we go in town. It didn't surprise me that much that there were plenty of haters at those prices as most people don't know squat about BBQ. They think Chili's and Tony Roma's serve BBQ. What surprised me were some BBQ fans who thought that was too expensive.

I just looked up the price of a run down dump of a pizzeria. They sell Spaghetti with meatballs @ $10. Assuming you get 1/2 a lb of pasta, some waterdown sauce and a microwaved meatball, you're effectively paying $20 a pound for garbage. We just don't think of food weight wise.

If people are willing to pay that much money for garbage, it's kinda odd that they wouldn't see that $25 a pound isn't all that much of a premium. Not too many people I know can eat pound of cooked meat.

Considering them New Yawk yankezz rent out a broom closet and call it an efficiency Apt. for 1000.00 a month + utilities 25.00 for a Lb of good BBQ is a bargain.:wink:

prices are always relative to the area, etc. that being said no way i would ever pay that price, period.

Considering them New Yawk yankezz rent out a broom closet and call it an efficiency Apt. for 1000.00 a month + utilities 25.00 for a Lb of good BBQ is a bargain.:wink:

SO RIGHT!!!

"High Cost" areas demand "High Prices" and get away with it because it costs so damn much to do business there.

If someone happens to make "High Money"--I guess it works out.

It is all relative.

TIM

I can see that price in NYC, it is flat out expensive up that way. I would definitely balk at the price, but I would pay it at least once to try it.

Sadly this is not true. More like $2,000 a month for a broom closet :mmph:

I know who Aaron Franklin is, but I've never had any of his BBQ. So I'm wondering, what is Aaron Franklin style brisket?

When I cook for a party or event, I charge $4 per person for brisket. I consider 5oz one-portion when combining with another protein. So really, I'm getting $12lb and I cook at home. I would not have a problem paying $16-25lb for good brisket at an establishment.

Kind of reminds me of the folks who balk at $4gal milk, but have no problem buying $5 beers at a bar.

Quite a few people would probably be very surprised if they put paper to pen on what they're paying per pound for their meals at their favorite restaraunt.

Het neuyawk, I live in a very nice semi-custom 3 bedroom, 2.5 bath home with a two car garage in the Dallas burbs with a Mortgage payment of $516 per month. I can live here dirt cheap compared to NYC, but I enjoy every single day I spend in that city, because it is a huge adventure. There is so much to do in NYC, and so much to eat in NYC.

If somebody is doing Texas Hill Country quality brisket in NYC for $25 a pound, IMO that's a really good deal. They are probably doing it in less than half the space of a Hill Country BBQ joint, and paying twice as much for that space.

Hopefully, Delaney BBQ is representing Texas brisket properly, as it is the signature BBQ item for the state. $25 per pound is a whole lot cheaper than a round-trip flight to Austin and a hotel room.

CD

Back