A-MAZE-N recomendations please

foppa78

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I would like to start doing some cold smoking of cheese and maybe some salmon or other fish. Should I be looking at the maze or the tube style? I have a kamado style smoker.

I'm sure they'll be other replies, but I say, go for the 18" Tube. I have a maze and 2 Tubes. The Tubes light easily, produce tons of smoke and last a long time. With the 18", you can choose the length of your smoke by how much you fill the Tube. That said, I have the 12 and 18" and use both.
Along with a Primo, I have a pellet grill as well. Pellet grills are notorious for their light smoke flavor profile. By using the Tubes in the pellet grill, my BBQ tastes every bit as smokey as that produced in my Primo.

Don't know anything about the tubes. I used the amazin with dust and like it a lot. There are less choices of wood with the pellets.

I have not used the tube, but I have the pellet smoker which can use either the dust or the pellets. You can also adjust the length of time of the smoke by putting a small ball of tinfoil as a stop.

I bought the pellet smoker because I can buy treager pellets locally, or I can bring them into my local "doitbest.com" hardware store without paying shipping. Treager Pellets are available in Alder, Apple, Cherry, Hickory, Maple, Mesquite, Pecan,and Oak. These large bags are much cheaper than A-Maze-N pellets. I can also add more pellets to the maze without problems in the middle of a burn without disruptions. You can also use sawdust or pellets from other suppliers as well as long as they are "Food Grade".

I've seen lots of folks just use one or 2 briquets and a lump of whatever wood they want for flavor, nothing special needed.

I have the A-Maze-N pellet smoker, which also can use dust. There's enough variety of pellets to keep me more than satisfied.
When the lows dip into the 40s the next two mornings, I plan on cold smoking salmon one day and doing more cheese the next morning.
I use mine A-mazing maze in my mini WSM, and I am very pleased with the combination.
Life is good.

I made my own smoke daddy clone and it works excellent.I can burn whatever I want in it with no heat input in the smoke chamber.

Dust produces less heat than pellets, keeping the cook chamber under 90º is the goal when smoking cheese. The tube smoker produces more smoke than the square pellet or dust smokers, maybe too much for cheese in a Kamando size cook chamber, depends on your taste preference.

I have the square dust smoker, square pellet smoker which also works with dust, a 6" and 12" tube smoker; I would go with the square pellet smoker and have the option of using dust if outside temps are 65º or higher, use pellets when the temps are under 65º. Also you have the option of lighting one or both ends pending again how much smoke you want to apply.

In your Kamando just make sure the smoker is located near an air intake for it to smolder properly.

I've seen lots of folks just use one or 2 briquets and a lump of whatever wood they want for flavor, nothing special needed.

Yes. This is what I've done. 2-3 briquettes around a piece of chunk smokewood in the firebasket of the UDS will give you plenty of smoke with little to no heat.

PLUS.....I have no idea what a "tube" or "A-Maz-N" smokers are. Guess I'm out of the loop.....:roll:

Charcoal briquettes generate approx. 15º to 20º of heat per briquette; pending the size of the cook chamber.

9-2-12027AAA.jpg

I have the maze model smoke generator that burns dust.... I have no experience with the tube or the pellet models. I've used my Big Chief but prefer my Smokey Joe Tall Boy.​

My A-Maze-N produces a gentle smoke that is perfect for cheeses. It's so nice that it's not mandatory for the cheese to mellow (age). Sure, the flavor of all smoked develops over a few days... but it can be eaten the next day with no fear of bitterness.​

My best results come from Tillamook brand cheeses, and I cut them into 2" X 2" X 4" blocks to keep the flavor even. I turn them end over end once during the smoke. My favorite flavors are pepper jack and the aged cheddar (black label). Their Colby does not take smoke very well, and the CoJack is just a little easier.​

In the summer I will do multiple smoke cycles, maybe 2 or 3 hours in the smoker, then back into the fridge to cool back down. In the fall and winter I do single cycles. Even though I sample it warm, if it still needs more flavor when I test it the next day, I have no problem in giving it another smoke cycle.​

I also use the cold smoke generator for my Nova lox with excellent results.​

DSC02895aaacc.jpg

DSC02892aaa.jpg

Absolutely beautiful lox. Any special technique to this success?

Absolutely beautiful lox. Any special technique to this success?

Oh Boy, that's a loaded question. I started about a year ago playing around with the Nova variety of lox, and it turned into a research project. I gathered tons of information and then I adapted several lox methods into one that worked well for me, and from what I understand is close to the Nova style of lox. My method uses two curing steps (a dry and a wet) followed by a soak, a rest, a cold smoke, and then another rest overnight.

Post #65 in THIS THREAD has the base recipe and my comments. As you can see the brine times could have been longer and the soak times a hair less. In my first few tries I was afraid of an over salty product, which was not the case. I have a draft article which I want to publish on my site before the holidays, I'm thinking one more batch will allow me to nail down some of the details a little tighter.... Plus I have been using the A-Maze-N generator in my Big Chief, I want to try lox in the Smokey Joe Tallboy.

Back