First ever brisket box build.

MarleyMan

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Built my first brisket box today, looking for feedback.

Let er' rip brethren.....

BRISKETBOX_zps58646f85.jpg

8. I would give it a 9, if the knife marks were so prevalent.

Nice first box. You should have seen my first box :caked:

That's a solid 8, maybe 9 in person. Here are areas for improvement:

I don't like the black glob on the right hand side of the second slice from the bottom.

Try to size your brisket for the box before cooking. That will allow your bark to wrap around the sides. Not essential, but I think it helps appearance as opposed to trimming after the cook.

It might be the lighting, but it looks just a touch dry.

It's a meat contest, but try to even out the parsley on all four sides. It's a little uneven on the top and right.

Overall, that's a really good effort for a first time.

Any tips on the knife marks Big Brother Smoke? I used a granton edge slicer FYI.

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, brisket (I'll admit) was a bit dry. I tried dipping the slices in the aus jus, but bark came off & then spotted the flat pieces. Then tried hitting it with a little sauce, but did not like the brush marks. So I opted to place in the slices and then spritz with a little warm H20.

Make sure your knife is sharp. Granting edge is no guarantee. Also give thought to using fat separated brisket juices instead of hot water for gloss.nice box though.Id give It an 8 probably

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

What Smoke and Stoke said. Always make sure you have a nice clean slice in front. You can hide the uneven slice marks pretty much on the other slices.:thumb:

Some judges may mark you down for visible fat on brisket. Simple to fix - either trim it off your first slice or hide it with a bit of parsley in the front of the box.

Still I'd probably give this box an 9 given the two seconds given to examine it at the judging table. Remember that everybody is hyper critical when they have unlimited time to examine a photograph.

As mentioned above trimming your brisket to the box before you cook it and cleaner cuts will help improve your box. You want to use the longest sharpest knife you can to cut with to enable you o cut with one, max two strokes to eliminate those knife marks.

Very good work for your first box! As has already been said, if you don't want to sauce, give a little spray or brush of water, au jus, aj (whatever complements your flavor profile) to give the slices some more shine and moisture. The ends look yummy, but don't be afraid to show off that tasty bark--I find the couple sprigs of parsley between the ends to be a little distracting. The right side of the slices looks a little ragged--trim up the front slice at the least to make it more symmetrical to the left.

Nice box man! Easy 8.... Now in order to really prepare, you have to cook in a monsoon, make your box in 5 minutes, then run it through an obsticle course....

Good luck next month! I'll be there in Spirit!

Thanks again for all of the comments and tips folks...I appreciate the constructive criticism from the knowledgeable & experienced competitive brethren :thumb:

Nice box man! Easy 8.... Now in order to really prepare, you have to cook in a monsoon, make your box in 5 minutes, then run it through an obsticle course....

Good luck next month! I'll be there in Spirit!

Thanks JC, can we borrow the "Wiener Cup"? We need a vessel for checking in :becky::pray::icon_smile_tongue:

Nice box! I gave it a 2 second look, and asked my wife too, we both came up with 8's.

If you filled up the box with slices/ends, even greens, and some moisture, easy 9

So basically fill up the box, yet keep an even edge of green all the way around the box on all 4 sides, Smokin Mike?

Nice box- I'd give it an 8; slices look dry, but that may be the lighting. Now I'm all hungry...

Back