Smokey Joe Tall Boy Smoker Mod ~ Brethren Comments

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
Well, the mod is nearing completion and it's far enough along to get some comments or ideas from all of you. This has been a fun build, and so far I've done 5 test cooks. The characteristics of this cooker have really changed for the better. Because I also will be using this for my camping/fishing trips I'm thinking a canvas stuff sack would be the ticket for transporting. I still need to install a thermometer, and maybe a larger ash pan.

The plant stand I used when this was still a grill does not work now that it's a smoker. The original legs are much more stable considering the height of the Tall Boy.

DSC02242a.jpg

I'm still using the clips for the grate, I made two sets for different heights. Right now I'm cooking about 9" from the charcoal.

DSC02262a.jpg

My first charcoal basket will work fine for short or low temp cooks, but I've made a larger basket. The mini-basket is loose and can just sit inside the larger one when needed.

DSC02274a.jpg

DSC02294a.jpg

DSC02295.jpg

I For my drip pan/heat shield, I built a rack to sit in the lower ledge, but added some risers to split the distance between the charcoal basket and the cooking grate. I am using a standard pie pan (this one is stainless) for this. It sits 5" from the charcoal basket, and 4" below my cooking grate.

DSC02297a.jpg

DSC02298a.jpg

DSC02300a.jpg

DSC02303a.jpg

I did document all of the steps in the build with about 10 photos, mostly involving the layout and cutting of the tamale pot, and will most likely devote an entire page on my cookin' site to this build.

DSC02257a.jpg

DSC02252copy.jpg

Sweet!! I like the rack for your pie pan VERY much!!

Have used a clay saucer for my heat sheild. Has served me well. I did buy a second tamale pot...want to play around with drip/water pan this time around. May just have to "borrow" your idea!! :becky:

Looks awesome Wayne! I use an inner basket like that in my UDS for smaller cooks and can see the value of one in this size smoker. I think this is going to be my next project once I finish the stick burner i am working on.

I have to ask did you modify the shroud/guard on your angle grinder for extra clearance?

If you did it's a great idea that I am going to use. I keep one of my grinders with the shroud off for general cutting since it always got in the way. It's rather sketchy using it since your hand is a only a few inches from the wheel...

Looks awesome Wayne! I use an inner basket like that in my UDS for smaller cooks and can see the value of one in this size smoker. I think this is going to be my next project once I finish the stick burner i am working on.

I have to ask did you modify the shroud/guard on your angle grinder for extra clearance?

If you did it's a great idea that I am going to use. I keep one of my grinders with the shroud off for general cutting since it always got in the way. It's rather sketchy using it since your hand is a only a few inches from the wheel...

That is a Milwaukee grinder and that model has a "tool free" guard. There is just a little tab you press and then you can rotate the guard where you want it, it's kind of cool because it's so fast and easy when it comes to directing the spark path.

That's probably the best looking conversion I have seen so far on one of these... nice work!

Nice work! I picked up a Smokey Joe last week to make one of those too.

I'm not feeling the grate supports.
The welded ring is nice cuz you got skillz and I would expect nothing less from team thirdeye. Sturdier legs would drive me wild.

What will the first cook be??

Im going to be doing this soon I really dig the water pan mod. Wish I had the skills to make one.

I'm not feeling the grate supports.
The welded ring is nice cuz you got skillz and I would expect nothing less from team thirdeye. Sturdier legs would drive me wild.

What will the first cook be??

Brian, the grate clips are a temporary deal, just until I play with different heights..... however they work much better than I could have imagined. What height is your grate (how far down from the rim)?

That ring was really a lucky break, it came from the bone pile. A year ago I was working on a vertical skewer idea and never completed it. I had 3 of the "L"'s make but only one tacked in place. I reversed the "L"s and they were a good fit to the larger ring.

DSC08459.jpg

I've thought about different legs, and aluminum would be a good material as it's easy to form and drill. Modifying a plant stand is also an option.

My first cook was pork loin steaks (two batches) then I did sausages, nuts, and today I made a buffalo burger.

I would have expected NOTHING less! :clap2: I have been waiting on you to post your build before I made the WallyWorld trek. :thumb:

I would have expected NOTHING less! :clap2: I have been waiting on you to post your build before I made the WallyWorld trek. :thumb:

The full blown procedure I used in on the home page of my cookin' site. Once I get it finalized I'll make it a thread here.

Very nice, I'm on the edge of trying to build one myself. I really hate going in to Walmart though!

Looking forward to what I imagine will be a great guide once you post your procedure.

You've taken this to a whole new level. Well played. :clap2:

Back