• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Chicken ratings

B

BrooklynQ

Ok folks, I have no idea what these scored, but here's some pics from the Harpoon Brewery Contest last year. What would you give them on appearance? Using KCBS Methods.... 2 - sucks, 9 outstanding.

1. Jack Daniel
JDChick.jpg

2. Harpoon4
harpoon4.jpg

3. HarpoonWing
normal_wings.jpg

4.PIPchick.
Porkinpark.jpg

This is just for fun. I Just want to see what folks think. One of these chicken dishes took first prize, but remember the appearence has the lowest weight in the final score.

No. 1-- I'd give a 7 to an 8, a little heavy on the leaf lettuce, probably couldn't close the lid down with out it hanging out the sides.

No.2-- probably a 6

No.3--a 7, nice touch with the wings, but a little crispy

No.4-- my favorite, I'd give a 9

but what do I know, I cook brisket and butt for our team...........LOL

No 1. Nice color. Too much lettuce. 6.

No 2. Nice. Even. Symmetrical. Probably would have left the fingers out. 7

No 3. Unorganized. Uneven looking texture. 4

No 4. Even. Grill marks all going the same way. 8

#1- Agreed, too much greenery. But I really liked the way it was arranged- innovative. Appears to be "smothered in sauce". 6 or (maybe) 7.

#2- Nice overall. Bet he wishes he had a larger one for the top left to match the other ones and flipped it to align the same. 8 or so.

#3-Messy. It is a different touch though with the wings. Would have helped to point the third one on the right in the middle row up and to the center to match the other 2 pointed that way. Or maybe arranged all the bones in some sort of pattern to get some symmetry or organization. 4 or 5 on my sheet. Sorry Charlie, but nice try.

#4-My favorite also. To be real picky, would like to see all the peices arranged with a pattern with the small ends vs long ends. These "appear" to be mixed in orientation. Also (really picky note), needs just a touch of greenery to fill out the right center and bottom just to the right of center. But, an 8 or (probably) 9 from me.

Interesting exercise. FBA and KCBS should do a lot of this to help with consistancy.
Hard to get a real feel with Pics, but works for me!
Kinda ignore me a bit on some of my comments. As DF will tell you, I am very anal about presentations. :oops: It is our last chance to score points and I "fuss" a lot to get them as good as possible and I hold nothing back.
As a Judge, I am looking for a presentation that reflects thought and care by the team. Organized in some manner and showing effort to get an attractive and pleasing entry. I score much more liberally than I judge our own efforts :lol:

TIM

Using KCBS regualtions. You cannot judge the greenery, so saying "to much parsley" is not allowed.

but to me, number 1 wins. Will come back to this later.

I like Number One the least - too much greenery and the chicken looks lost to me at least. I also think it's way to dark and much too much sauce. But don't take that as an indication on which chicken took first.

1: looks great, but maybe to much sauce score: 9 ( I would check to see if any sauce is "pooling")

2: Top left piece seems smaller than the rest. lettuce on the bottom sticks out more than lettuce on top. Nice color and grill marks. score: 6

3: Nice pieces of meat. alittle burnt?. Seems jumbled (dissorganized) but that could be just the pic. score:5 (6 if not dissorganized)

4:again, nice looking meat with nice grill marks. Bottom right piece seems alittle more well done around the edges. The missing greenery at the bottom looks bad but shouldn't affect the score. Score:8

Just curious, which one won 1st???

Doesn't #1 have kale/cabbage with parsley? Instead of green leaf lettuce!! I like #2 and #4 the best would give them 8s or 9s.

If you have to question an entry then it would seem to me that you would automatically give it a lower score as a judge ?
Thanks Skip

Skip,
If you have to question an entry then it would seem to me that you would automatically give it a lower score as a judge ?
Thanks Skip
Not sure I understand your question exactly--but:

With my "Pit Bitch Hat" on--I "Judge" our team entries much harder than the real Judges do.
I am looking to maximize score--not be objective.

With my "Judge Hat" on--I really try to be objective and follow the rules as given and to give an honest score.

With only pictures--and given lots of time to view them--it is natural to find the flaws and look for improvements possible :lol:
We are only using one sense--sight--as shown through a single picture.
Tough to do.

Was I close to your question????

TIM

Chick-n-Pig-BBQ said:
Doesn't #1 have kale/cabbage with parsley? Instead of green leaf lettuce!! I like #2 and #4 the best would give them 8s or 9s.

Thanks Skip

If it was kale/cabbage it would have been dis-qualified. In KCBS world, it would have scored a 1 on appearence. These were all legit entries.

Back