Vacuum Sealing (Your tips) and tricks

Ashmont

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This thread has spawned from the earlier request about cheaper vacuum sealing bags. I got to searching the Interweb for more tips and tricks. There is alot out there. Please use this site to post things you have done with Success and not success... I will go first:

Went camping and efore we left I made Biscuits for BnG's Created a bag put them in after cooled in ziplock bag then Mada bag and put the Buscuits in there and just sealed it not Vacuumed. Was able to keep them in the cooler without getting them wet. Also did similar things with our clothes to keep them dry.

Went to dollar store and got 30 hard plastic non throwaway plates. After a large meal made extra on purpose get out some plates and make homemade Teevee dinners. For example Thanksgiving afterward plate up some turkey smooshed taters and a veggie Prefreeze the plate and vacuum sea! Tevvee dinner for later.

What have you all done?

Last edited:
Why are you vacuum sealing ants? :confused: :-D

When I am vac-u-sucking soft things (like raspberries, etc.) I freeze them on a cookie sheet on wax paper first, then vac-u-suck.

When we buy a lot of spares, I fab into SL's , wrap each rack with cling wrap and vac pack 3 or 4 to a bag with a piece of freezer paper between, and freeze. EZ separation, and can reuse the bags. When I'm vac packing wet meat, I fold the top of the bag over a few inches, drop the meat in, unfold, and place some paper towels over the meat to absorb the juices when vacuuming.

I seal tatoe chip bags almost everyday! Wife get them 55 gallon Tatoe chip bags from sams. Then they get down to over half I cut and seal them so there is no reason to have that much empty bag. :tsk:

Also make several gallon of chili at a time Then freeze in 1 person meal then seal. If people do this a lot every time it will save you money and time. I will tell you with three kids sports and activities, it is a godsend for them to go to the freezer on a rush day. Usually 5 days a week get what they want heat it up. It saves me time from cooking too.....

Marty:

The only time I used vac-u-sucks was last September when you and I were bagging up all the shredded pork and beef using your equipment.

I think I will stick with zip lock bags

Marty:

The only time I used vac-u-sucks was last September when you and I were bagging up all the shredded pork and beef using your equipment.

I think I will stick with zip lock bags

Yeah I like it better when doing smaller batches not like 50 bags at a time. Also when your not in a time crunch either.

I seal tatoe chip bags almost everyday! Wife get them 55 gallon Tatoe chip bags from sams. Then they get down to over half I cut and seal them so there is no reason to have that much empty bag. :tsk:

55 gallons in a bag????:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked: Where do you even store something that big? :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

I always put a description, the weight and the freeze date near the top of each package with permanent marker.
I store them standing up in rows in the downstairs freezer so I can see what's in there without too much digging.
I try to keep the older stuff on top or in front.
I take a trip to the downstairs freezer at least once a week and move what I'll use that week to the upstairs freezer, picking from the oldest first.
There's been a lot less waste since I started doing this.

55 gallons in a bag????:shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked: Where do you even store something that big? :shocked::shocked::shocked::shocked:

In our walkin Pantry I created. Its 4.5 feet deep by 8' high by 5' Wide. There are 5 shelves to the left. Now that what I call a pantry.

100_1811.jpg

100_1803.jpg

100_1867.jpg

I always put a description, the weight and the freeze date near the top of each package with permanent marker.
I store them standing up in rows in the downstairs freezer so I can see what's in there without too much digging.
I try to keep the older stuff on top or in front.
I take a trip to the downstairs freezer at least once a week and move what I'll use that week to the upstairs freezer, picking from the oldest first.
There's been a lot less waste since I started doing this.

40% of all food produced in the USA is thrown away! :shock::shock: Great job sir! Now I don't have to buy more stamps to send the stuff to starving children in third world countries.:shock::shock: I will still support every effort though to help them....:thumb:

You can also use the vacuum sealer to "speed marinade", I did this with a flat iron steak the other day. Just like Campbell's soup, mmm mmm good!

I have a FoodSaver and I am wondering how do you seal things with alot of moisture? Sometimes things I think are relatively moisture free, the moisture gets pulled up to the seal and leaves gaps in the seal.

I have a FoodSaver and I am wondering how do you seal things with alot of moisture? Sometimes things I think are relatively moisture free, the moisture gets pulled up to the seal and leaves gaps in the seal.
When I'm vac packing wet meat, I fold the top of the bag over a few inches, drop the meat in, unfold, and place some paper towels over the meat to absorb the juices when vacuuming.

rumor has it that there is a brethren member, who will go un-named, that keeps a collection of all his old girlfriends' undies in vac sealed bags in the freezer. just sayin..... ok, i'll go to the woodpile now :)

We have a regional grocery chain here in Iowa called "Fareway" that has some good sales on ground beef every so often. BUT - the sale is only good if you buy 10 pound tubes (limit of 2). I get 2 tubes & the OL gets 2 tubes (total of 40 pounds of burger!) then I make one pound bags & vacu-suck them, smoosh 'em flat & into the freezer. They freeze quick when they are flattened out like that, take up a lot less room and defrost faster/easier than a one pound blob.

Heck, we vacuum seal almost everything.

Soup or Chili: Take a soup bowl, line it with plastic food wrap letting it over hang all around, pour the soup/chili in for a good serving size, place in freezer until frozen. Remove from freezer, take plastic wrap off, place in bag, vacuum and seal. We almost always have chili in the freezer. And Thanksgiving time, we make turkey noodle, rice or cabbage soup. We have a BOAT load, so we eat some and freeze the rest.

Meat: Divide into amounts we use for a meal; place in freezer on wax paper until almost frozen (or until it's firm), place in bag and seal.

Bone in Chicken breast: Place in freezer on wax paper until firm, wrap with plastic food wrap, place in bag with a few paper towels where the rib bone points are to keep them from poking thru the bag, and seal.

If you have the Ball Mason jar attachment, you can buy bulk spices, take out what you need and put in smaller container, put the rest in jars and seal.

We also use the canisters they have to marinade meat. The lids have a vacuum port and the unit will suck the air out.

wallace

The biggest tip I can offer on vac sealing is to not pay full price on the bags. Costco carries a big box of them. I think it's got a total of 5 rolls and 30 quart sized bags in it. Not a bad deal @ $40. BUT!!!!!! 2-3 times a year they have a coupon in the monthly book for $10 off. It's a great deal. Don't recall if there are limits or not, but it's a steal!

By thing when sealing wet meats is pre-freezing. We buy bulk hamburger and will prefreeze 8 ounce slabs before vac sealing. We do cube steak, boneless skinless chicken breasts, pork chops.
We prefreeze soup or chile in plastic boxes and freeze overnight then slide out and vac seal it. I'm a big fan of my unit. BTW sin thanks for the tip on the Costco bags.

Back