View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #7133
boakley
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gss View Post
I have a newborn son in my house and really don't want to do anything that could damage the air that we breath. Is there consensus one way or the other on these? Could burning the liners off have potentially bad consequences? Does anyone know of anybody who has had a bad experience in burning these liners off? If so, I'll scrap the barrels I have and continue the search.
I have no proof, but would say with 99.9% certainty that the liner is toxic when being burnt off. Using a weed burner on the OUTSIDE of the drum to remove the paint, burned the liner off the inside of the drum and it was actually a pretty quick process (half hour or so for the entire drum) then I followed it up with a flap sander to get the metal nice and clean. The liner did smoke as it burned out, but not excessively, I had no problem doing it in a subdivision. The weed burner process, done away from the house, when the wind is not blowing toward the house is probably safe enough. But, when it comes to your children, always best to error on the side of caution.

Good luck!
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote