No prize money guarantee on KCBS website

Ford

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
This is further to my post on sanctioning requirements under the Contest payout thread. I'm not saying there's a problem with any of these but it looks like there's a problem getting paperwork posted. And we know there is a problem with one of them for sure.

May 14-15 contests
Randolph County Pig Party Steeleville, IL
Bloomin' BBQ and Bluegrass Festival Sevierville, TN
Claremore Reveille Rotary's Boot-N-BBQ Claremore, OK
Mississippi Springfest Barbecue Contest Ashland, MS

May 21-22
Great American Barbecue Festival Bonner Springs, KS
Pig Bowl Columbus, GA
Chesapeake Jubilee BBQ Cook-Off Chesapeake, VA
The Dells BBQ Bash & State BBQ Championship Wisconsin Dells, WI

May 28-29
Sixth Annual BestDam Barbecue Boulder City, NV
3rd Annual Horsin' Around BBQ Showdown (Georgia BBQ Championship) Young Harris, GA
Versailles Smokin' Bar-B-Q Cookoff Versailles, MO

May 29-30
Red, White & BBQ Westmont, IL

There are 16 contests the weekend of June 4 - 6 and 10 have no prize guarantee posted and 6 have a guarantee. Wekk of june 11-12 it's 9 with and 6 without.

While I am not an official spokesman for the Westmont contest. I do know what is going on behind the scenes for it... I know that they had to confirm with KCBS what their lowest amount of money that they would guarantee. The only reason I can think that it's not posted was because they were late (ie after the December deadline), for getting their application as a returning contest in by then? Like I said, I am not sure if that is why? But I do know they had to guarantee monies with KCBS...

So maybe those contests that you have listed were in the same boat?

But I do agree Ford. I guarantee you I would be getting my money back.. Whether I had to use legal means would be another story... Which I could easily do and drag their butts to Cook County and really drive up their legal fees. In the long run, I believe that they would do what is right. I sure hope so. Because getting gift certificates and values of the trophies aren't right...

After the chit I've gone through with the organizers of ONE of those contests, if the payouts are short, there will be hell.

(And off the record, I know of ONE of these contests that is begging the local market for more sponsor money ((one would be mine)), whether they need it or not.)

That is all.

I don't understand either Past Events I have helped organize, if Our guarantee letter wasn't sent within 90 days we got a phone from KCBS

FYI - I just talked to the organizer for Young Harris, GA and they guarantee the payout. He is calling KCBS now to find out why it's not listed on the website.

I don't understand either Past Events I have helped organize, if Our guarantee letter wasn't sent within 90 days we got a phone from KCBS
Maybe the problem is jsut that the websitre is not updated. But as a cook I don't know if it's an office or organizer problem.

FYI - I just talked to the organizer for Young Harris, GA and they guarantee the payout. He is calling KCBS now to find out why it's not listed on the website.
This is probably the best way to get the website updated. Otganizers have a lot more power than cooks. If a cook phoned the organizer of contests within 90 days without a payout listed I think the organizers would be phoning the rep or office to find out why it's not listed.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
While I am not dissing the office, because I feel they do a pretty good job and I always recognize them for that with treating them for a luncheon. But I just don't know how Steph used to do it... I think they have 4 full time office staff now? They might want to start cross training some folks, so if one is too swamped or out, the others can do it. But they pass out the "Manager" title as freely as banks give out VP... They need a checks and balance system in place. Some contests get marked right away and others just sit.

So, help me understand. Is the point being that if there is no gurantee listed on the website, it could be for several reasons (oversight, clerical error, etc) and not just "no submitted guarantee". It is difficult for a cook to know the difference.

EDIT: Just read Ford's reply to confirm my supposition.

If every team made it their practice to contact the KCBS office to insure that Prize Fund Guarantee letters had been filed before they sent in their entry fees, my bet is that organizers would file that paperwork a lot closer to the 90 day mark than they do now.

I have been told by multiple Board members that KCBS will not take any serious action against an organizer for not having filed the proper paperwork until 45 days prior to the contest date and I'd be willing to wager that most organizers know that.

We, as teams, have the collective power to vote with our checkbooks and not enter contests until organizers have fulfilled the requirements of their sanctioning agreement. We also, as KCBS members, have the collective power to vote for Board members who will actually enforce the requirements laid out in the sanctioning agreement.

So, help me understand. Is the point being that if there is no gurantee listed on the website, it could be for several reasons (oversight, clerical error, etc) and not just "no submitted guarantee". It is difficult for a cook to know the difference.

And that is why we, as teams, should be lighting up the KCBS phone lines to find out what has been done properly and what has fallen through the cracks regarding the contests at which we plan to compete.

The best thing that teams can do is to keep copies of the completed entry forms they send in, print out pages from contest websites where cash prizes and payouts are posted, get after organizers who don't file their paperwork in a timely manner and then get after KCBS to also get after those organizers.

The entry forms and print outs regarding payouts are the "advertising" that KCBS can use to enforce the rules (i.e. the Wisconsin Dells contest) and the "gettin' after" is, well, just good ol' gettin' after so that action gets taken.

(And off the record, I know of ONE of these contests that is begging the local market for more sponsor money ((one would be mine)), whether they need it or not.)

Maybe she has been trained at Nascar school of stealing from your competitors ?

Back