Plant City FL, Pig Jam

Redheart

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any of the Brethren ever attended?

I am thinking of making the trip down as I have several friends in the area. But before I do I have several questions.

This will be the first comp that I would have an opportunity to sell the product. The COC keeps 20% for local charities and we keep 80%. This could easily pay for the trip if I can move enough product. :icon_clown My question is how well has your product moved for you in the past?

I had a great time at it last year, it was my first KCBS GC :biggrin: 8)

It is a very well attended contest, very good crowds. We always vend and usually sell out. Depending on how much winning "bling" you have as well as banners, you could sell between $500 - $10,000. I always set a modest goal and cook with that in mind. How much do you need to make?

I was with Jimmy last year. Nice contest. Saw a good crowd. At least the parking lot really filled up. Seemed the vendors were busy right up to awards. They had a bunch of stuff for the kids.

My biggest question is about the vending. I can pay an additional $50 to vend but calculating for an unknown number of people and what product or products to sell. The other question is whether or not non-competing companies like Stubbs BBQ will be giving away sample etc. I am interested in competing, and vending to cover the costs of the trip, but not a whole lot of use if some one is giving away pulled pork sliders. I hate to prep a hundred or so lbs of meat and sell 10. Just trying to figure out how to make it profitable with out necessarily taking home the GC.

First off, nobody is giving away BBQ at this contest. We did it last year and loved it. Probably our favorite contest all year. From what I hear there were about 10k people there last year. I don't know what you want to sell from a product standpoint, but if it's just food bring an amount below what you think and sell out early. I dont know if you'll sell more than $500-700, but thats a good day to me.

First off, nobody is giving away BBQ at this contest. We did it last year and loved it. Probably our favorite contest all year. From what I hear there were about 10k people there last year. I don't know what you want to sell from a product standpoint, but if it's just food bring an amount below what you think and sell out early. I dont know if you'll sell more than $500-700, but thats a good day to me.

Thanks for the information. The woman from the chamber of commerce finally called m back and told me they had 15,000 there last year and 60+ competitors.

What were the prices like for most of the products? This will be my first time vending at an event and I am trying to put together numbers to see if it is feasible. With the 80/20 split I will need to sell 125 bucks in food to take home $100. I don't need to make money but I will need to break even, and bring in outside help since I am a one man team. Fortunately I have friends in the area with college age kids that are willing to give me a hand at a discount rate.

I am thinking that I will do pulled pork sliders for the masses and maybe some smoked oysters. Was thinking about frying up some fries as well, but the area is only 20 x 15 and I still need to cook for the comp. So I might not go with the fries, but fries would probably sell well. I also do an ABC pie, Apple Bacon Cheese pie that I pre-cook up here and then hold the in a smoker to reheat and sell warm.

Well thanks again and any further info you or anyone else can provide would be great. I need to make the decision soon so gaining some quality information to draw up a realistic proforma would be great.

I had a great time at it last year, it was my first KCBS GC :biggrin: 8)

It is a very well attended contest, very good crowds. We always vend and usually sell out. Depending on how much winning "bling" you have as well as banners, you could sell between $500 - $10,000. I always set a modest goal and cook with that in mind. How much do you need to make?

Its an FBA this year. Do you have any idea as to why they switched affiliations?

Its an FBA this year. Do you have any idea as to why they switched affiliations?

It is not on the FBA schedule--still KCBS.
We have cooked this 3 years.
Thousands of spectators.
They put vendors in the first two rows--kinda like a feeding trough :lol:

The competetion is fierce!
It is what I call part of the "KCBS Winter Tour" and you will probably find Lotta Bull, Fast Eddy, Johnny Trigg, Pellet Envy, and other SUPERSTARS competing.
I think they get to write off some of their vacation travel by doing Plant City, Lakeland, Felda, and a couple of others down here :lol:

Pretty well run event.

TIM

It is not on the FBA schedule--still KCBS.
We have cooked this 3 years.
Thousands of spectators.
They put vendors in the first two rows--kinda like a feeding trough :lol:
TIM

Thanks for the clarification. Don't know how I got FBA in my head. Probably because I am entered in an FBA event this weekend.

I am looking forward to the event, if I can swing it financially.

Hope to meet many a Brethren there.

Pulled pork sandwich - $5, Ribs - $2 each.

I am assuming the pulled pork was a 6 oz sammie. 2 bucks a rib sounds good too. I will definitely look into putting a menu together early next week and figure the rest out.

If you need to put a menu together, you may be over thinking Plant City a bit. It's a real simple contest with good teams and good customers. You may also want to double check on the oysters with the organizers. They have to approve the foods vended. Bring the basics and you'll be a lot happier at the end of the day. To understand this contest just know that the most popular food vendor all day was selling ears of corn. ABC Pie and Smoked Oysters may not go over as well.

Back